Upper West Side or Murray Hill

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2009, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is our second stay in NYC, coming for 4 nights with husband and teenage son in mid-June. I have booked at the Affinia Dumont, however, now having thoughts of switching to Lucerne Hotel . We want to have easy access to the subway which I think both afford, and ability to walk about safely at night to restaurants. Can you give me the pros and cons of this ? Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 09:47 AM

I don't know these hotels, but I lived in Manhattan for almost 7 years as an adult. As a child, I often stayed with my grandparents who resided on the UES.

I definitely would rather stay on the UWS. I love having access to Central Park during the summer months when NYC can become a pressure cooker.

The UWS is very relaxed.

Thin
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 10:48 AM

Murray Hill is a mix of business and some residential, whereas the UWS is mostly residential. If you want a neighborhood where lots of people will be on the streets until quite late at night, and where there are many resturants (from cheap to moderate--not many high end, destination type places) then the UWS is the better choice, in my opinion.
As Thin mentioned, you have Central Park nearby and there are outdoor concerts your son might like, and from which you can walk "home" afterwards. If you like museums (most have some evening hours) most are on the Upper East Side, just a quick bus ride across town.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 10:54 AM

Both of those are supposed to be excellent but the Lucerne would be more of a "Neighborhood" than the Affinia, which may offer more options for being close to restaurants. I think it's literally a toss up. Both are highly reccommended.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 11:08 AM

I think the beaconhotel.com is nicer than the Lucerne if you go to the UWS. UWS is closer to Central Park, near the Mus. of Natural History, closer to Yankee stadium if you plan on going to a game. More subway lines from there to get around the city. Affinia Dumont is a short walk to Empire STate, Macy's, closer to hip downtown neighborhoods your son might like such as Greenwich Village and lower east side. Frankly, with a teen, I wonder why you wouldn't consider staying further downtown than either of these.

If you're coming Thurs- Sun., there's a special on travelzoo.com for the Embassy Suites that's a great deal and includes full cooked breakfast.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 11:10 AM

The Upper West Side is lively with some unique retail shops. There is beautiful residential architecture along the Park and by the River.

Murray Hill is very residential but it can be noisy by the entrances to Queens Midtown Tunnel. The retail shops are not as interesting.

I would stay on the Upper West Side.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 11:47 AM

Definitely do the upper west side. It's mid/upscale residential and much livlier in the evenings, with tons of restaurants lining the avenues, many with sidewalk cafes, as well some interesting local as well as standard shops. You're only a couple of blocks from Central Park and several major museums (some on either side of the park) and there are 2 subway lines to access the rest of the city quickly.

Murray Hill is not near as many sights and a lot of it is offices - so not nearly so lively at night.

Have a look at On The Ave as well as the Lucerne.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts.

Do the rooms at the Lucerne have mini-refrigerators ? I thought most hotel rooms did nowdays but I don't see this listed as an amenity .
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 05:51 AM

We are a family of 3 visiting NYC for 5 days. (Here now.) I found a wonderful hotel/apt. called the Envoy Club in Murray Hill. Not glamorous, but FULL kitchen and you can get a studio, one or two bedroom. Huge by NY standards in the affordable lodging category. The Envoy Club is at 33rd and 1st, next to the NYU Medical Center. Closest subway is 33rd and Park, about 6 blocks west. We've been using the 34th st. cross town bus (1 block walk) primarily then transferring uptown or downtown depending on our destination. Try quikbooks.com to see what they offer.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Richland34- hope you are having fun ! Your accommodation sounds perfect for a family.
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM

Definitely the UWS!! You can walk to Central Park and, the Museum of Natural History and Lincoln Center, or even uptown to see Columbia U. There are many restaurants and it's lively, with families about. Murray HilL is pretty sterile. We recently stayed at the Excelsior on the UWS and really liked it.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

I really appreciate all the great ideas- I am glad I asked the question ! We have switched from Affinia Dumont to Lucerne Hotel.

We may not have as much space but it sounds like the compromise should be worthwhile in order to be in the UWS.

Thank you all.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

This is not a trip report- just a feedback after return from NYC to say we were very happy to be on the UWS at Lucerne. They gave us a complimentary upgrade to a two queen suite from a two double which was wonderful. The area is perfect- very close to metro, park, museums, restaurants, including H&H bagels and Zabars. Thank you, thank you Fodorites !
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM

You are welcome.

Thin