Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Planning for 2 weeks trip in Ny, San Francisco and Orlando

Old Feb 22nd, 1998, 05:49 AM
Phoebe Fouad

Dear Sirs,

I would appreciate to receive your help concerning planning for my holiday in USA.

It seems that at least half of the money I have will be spent on airtickets, because I will be flying from
Egypt to NY, then to Denver. In Denver I will stay with somefriends so it is not a problem.

But I will also go to San Francisco, back to Denver, then from Denver to Orlando - Ny and back to Cairo.

What I am looking for is to find the simplest, cheapest accomodation in San Francisco, Orlando and NY for a single 31 yrs old woman. Just a B&B.

I also need to know about means of transportation other than planes, maybe trains or couches, something like this.

My trip is for 2 weeks probably from second half of March until first week of April, 1998.

Can you help me plan for my trip?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Phoebe

Old Feb 23rd, 1998, 12:12 PM
patti

That's an amazing amount of territory to try to cover in two weeks. I don't think you realize how big the USA is and how long it takes to get from one place to another. Each time you fly from city to city it will take up the bulk of one day when you count the time needed to arrive at the airport, etc. If I read your itinerary correctly, you'll be spending 5 days of your 2 week vacation flying between destinations. That's not taking into account the travel day to arrive in the USA from Egypt and the day to return to Egypt. You'll be wiped out (exhausted) from all the travel, and you'll see very little of America except it's airports. All the cities you mention are worthwhile seeing, but are also worthy of taking a minimum of 3-4 days to see them properly. I suggest you reduce the number of cities, or extend your trip to at least four weeks. As for an alternate choice of travel for you to consider, there is none......trains take numerous days to travel between the cities you mention (if such routes even exist).

Old Feb 23rd, 1998, 01:59 PM
ram parameswaran

For the time you have in the US, there is no good alternative to flying. By train or bus, you would spend about 10 days just travelling between destinations. Fortunately, there are low cost airlines; for example, one called Southwest Airlines could fly you from Denver-SF-Denver and Denver to Orlando for probably under $400 total. There are other low cost carriers which could get you from Orlando to NY for about $100. As the previous respondent mentioned, even flying would still leave you limited time in each locale (maximum 2-3 days each). If even after our negative commentary does not dissuade you from modifying your itinerary and you have incredible stamina, I am afraid the budgetary problems may still limit you. SF and NY are the two most expensive cities in the US. The only cheap accomodation you may find in either city is a youth hostel or YMCA (about $40/night). For anything slightly nicer be prepared to spend about $80-100/ night. In Orlando, there is alot of cheap accomodations, but you will need a car to get around anywhere. I will be happy to help you further if you e-mail me more specific information about your budget, dates, etc. Good luck!

Old Feb 25th, 1998, 10:34 AM
Phoebe Fouad Girgis

Dear friends,

Thank you very much for your answers. Believe me I know how big USA is but it is my boss who allowed me only 15 days vacation!

My work (translator) does not allow me to take much more time off. I am coming next March, so, I think I will arrive first at NY, then fly to San Francisco and spend about 2-3 days there. Then I can go back to Denver and stay with some friends for about 6 days. After that, I will go to Orlando and spend also a couple of days there. Finally, I will go to NY, just for a day or so before flying back to Egypt.

What bothers me most is the flying costs, but I think I cannot do anything about it. I am now looking for a cheap lodging in Orlando, and I need to know how much does it cost (cheapest possible) to fly this route (NY - SF - Denver - Orlando - NY).

I will be happy to receive your highly appreciated comments. I never consider peolpe help as negative advise.

Thank you very much.

Phoebe

Old Feb 25th, 1998, 10:36 AM
Phoebe Fouad Girgis

Dear friends,

Thank you very much for your answers. Believe me I know how big USA is but it is my boss who allowed me only 15 days vacation!

My work (translator) does not allow me to take much more time off. I am coming next March, so, I think I will arrive first at NY, then fly to San Francisco and spend about 2-3 days there. Then I can go back to Denver and stay with some friends for about 6 days. After that, I will go to Orlando and spend also a couple of days there. Finally, I will go to NY, just for a day or so before flying back to Egypt.

What bothers me most is the flying costs, but I think I cannot do anything about it. I am now looking for a cheap lodging in Orlando, and I need to know how much does it cost (cheapest possible) to fly this route (NY - SF - Denver - Orlando - NY).

I will be happy to receive your highly appreciated comments. I never consider peolpe help as negative advise.

Thank you very much.

Phoebe

Old Feb 26th, 1998, 07:10 AM
ram

I priced a few one way flights via the internet (Travelocity-Best price itinerary). NYC-SFO for
$303 on Tower Air. SFO-DEN on United for $102. DEN-Orlando on United for $269. Orlando-NYC for $101 on USAir. Total cost is about $800, which isn't bad considering all the one way flights. All flights were non-stop as well. You could check with any one of these airlines about deals they may have for "loop" travel (ie. starting and ending at same point with stops in between). There are many cheap lodgings in Orlando area. Days Inn has rates as low as $49/night, but you will need a car to get around Orlando which will add about $20-30/day. Without a car, you can try to stay at a Disney World Hotel (you may get for as little as $80-$100/night now), which will usually provide shuttle service to the Disney parks (at least 2-3 days of activity alone)- but then shuttle to and from the airport will potentially add another $40. Again, good luck!

Old Feb 26th, 1998, 09:38 PM
Donna

I agree wholeheartedly with the previous posts. Why spend so much on airfare? A much better use of your funds would be to select one destination other than Denver. If you are unfamiliar with climates other than Egypt, the winter weather would be a huge shock and you may find it too uncomfortable to enjoy yourself out and about. New York and San Francisco are much more pleasant in the late Spring, Summer and Fall. Unless you have your heart set on visiting Disney World and Epcot and lying on a beach, Orlando is not much of a destination. On the other hand, you could spend the rest of your time there and not be bored. In my opinion, your itinerary is much too ambitious. You'll spend all your time travelling and have no time (or funds) left over for seeing and doing and enjoying yourself.