Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Planning first trip to New Orleans in September - advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2018, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have booked flights to NOLA in late September this year, we're all in our late 40's & early50's (we think we're all in our 20's LOL). We need help in what area to stay in when we visit. We would like an area we could go out for walks during the day and night, hitting local bars and restaurants while taking in the beautiful homes, parks and attractions. We love beverages: morning, day & night and local food. We have been to Savannah, GA often and love the historic district. We can help anyone interested in visiting Savannah with fantastic tips where to go and visit like a local. It seems like the "Garden District" would work for what we like, however we don't know. We would like to visit the French Quarter section, I just don't know if the French Quarter is where we really want to stay for 4 days. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, we love to go where the locals go. We will be booking a VRBO, Homeaway, B&B.
Thank you, Frank.
Old May 12th, 2018, 09:32 AM

Just came back. This trip we stayed at “StayAlfred” at 822 Perdido. Could not have been more pleased. It’s apartments, but rented out like a hotel - fully legal. We walked to dinner every night. Walked to the French Quarter, walked to the river. Walked to the WWII Museum. Walked to SmoothieKing Arena. The only time we took a taxi was to and from Frenchman Street.
Old May 12th, 2018, 09:35 AM

The Garden District is a great place to stay. Commander's Palace, with it's famous $.25 martinis, is in the Garden District. Make reservations far in advance as they book up quickly. You can take a walking tour of the district and visit Lafayette Cemetery #1. I recommend using Save our Cemeteries~it is a non-profit that helps restore the cemeteries. Magazine Street has a number of fun restaurants and shops. The French Quarter is an inexpensive Uber ride away.

Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 historic cemetery tour | Save Our Cemeteries

https://www.commanderspalace.com/
Old May 13th, 2018, 07:27 AM

Although I've had friends who have picked B&Bs/hotels in the French Quarter or Central Business District a little away from the Bourbon Street action and been happy with their choice, I've always stayed in the Lower Garden District when in New Orleans and have never regretted being there while in the city. There's some beautiful architecture in that neighbourhood and if you want to head toward the French Quarter or Faubourg Marigny, there's always the atmospheric St. Charles Ave. trolley as well to get you in that direction. I also love the energy of the Historic District in Savannah and although there are differences between the two southern cities, I think that you like this part of Savannah, that there's a good chance you're going to appreciate what the Garden District and New Orleans in general has to offer as well.

Bon voyage! Daniel
Old May 13th, 2018, 01:08 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with tenthumbs about staying in the Garden District. So many restaurants, etc. a stroll away. If you stay in the French Quarter, my favorite is the Dauphine Orleans. I need to return to spend more time in the WWII museum. It was fabulous! And of course, the first stop is always Cafe du Monde for beignets. Highly recommend the walking and tasting tour of NOLA too. And Dragos for charbroiled oysters!
Old May 13th, 2018, 02:50 PM

Cafe du Monde is certainly an experience. But we just had beignets and coffee at Morning Call in City Park (across from the fabulous sculpture garden) and they are far better!
Old May 15th, 2018, 12:13 PM

I'm skeptical, sf7307.............. I think I need a trip to New Orleans to prove or disprove your claim.
Old May 15th, 2018, 12:36 PM

New Orleans foof experience

NOLA food experiences

New Orleans itinerary

NOLA sightseeing experiences, see later on thread for what was actually done.
Old May 15th, 2018, 01:45 PM

I prefer staying in the French Quarter to the Garden District. The Garden District always seems a little quiet and staid for my tastes. It's personal preference. I like to stay in the lower quarter best - the part of the French Quarter between Jackson Square and Esplanade. There is so much right at your doorstep. And it's easy to visit other areas of the city. I don't think there are many (any?) legal short term rentals in the FQ though.

A lot of people confuse the concept of Bourbon Street with the French Quarter, but all the craziness of Bourbon Street is really just those few blocks of Bourbon Street, not the entire French Quarter. Even a block off Bourbon and things are much quieter. Much of the FQ is quiet and residential, which a lot of people don't realize.
Old May 15th, 2018, 01:46 PM

And yes, I think some field research is needed to evaluate sf's beignet claim.