Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Planning a trip to San Diego - Aug 19-24 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/planning-a-trip-to-san-diego-aug-19-24-a-628492/)

liveinthemoment Jul 5th, 2006 03:21 AM

Planning a trip to San Diego - Aug 19-24

My husband & I are planning a trip to to San Diego 8/19 - 8/24 and would love any suggestions on places to visit, restaurant & hotel reccomendations or daytrips to take? Thanks!

saps Jul 5th, 2006 09:48 AM

There are several different areas to stay in so you should decide that first (La Jolla, Mission Bay, Downtown, Coronado, UTC-Golden Triangle, Hotel Circle). In my opinion La Jolla is the nicest area to stay in (but probably the most expensive and it can be difficult to get into and out of the area) while the Hotel Circle area is the least desirable (nothing but streets lined with chain hotels).

La Jolla is a gorgeous seaside community with fine dining, boutique galleries, seaside paths, and views to die for. Parking can be difficult and as I mentioned it can be pricey.

San Diego is all about beaches and there are great ones all over. La Jolla Shores and Torrey Pines are two of my favorite.

Trip ideas include:
- Hiking at Torrey Pines State Park
- Balboa Park & Musuems
- SD Zoo
- Seaport Village
- Coronado Village & Hotel Del Coronado
- La Jolla Cove & Village
- Gaslamp Quarter for dinner, drinks, dancing
- Tijuana (not for the faint of heart)
- Horse Races at Del Mar (Not sure if they run that late into August though)

One restaurant recommendation…Check out George’s at the Cove in La Jolla. If you make reservations for their Terrace you will sit outside on the third floor and have a wonderful view of the ocean.

Good luck planning and have a great trip.

TahitiTams Jul 5th, 2006 10:34 AM

Since you are staying at one of the busiest times of the year in SD, Do you have hotel reservations already?
I would stay in La Jolla if you can and Hotel Circle isn't so bad for the price and the location to everything..this is where you will probably end up staying if you do not have reservations or do not want to pay over $300-880 a night..
My suggestions are;
hotellajolla.com bang for the buck in LJ.. ask for top floor north side
thegrandecolonial.com
ljbtc.com longshot but you never know
lajollacove.com somewhat reasonable
hanalei.com Hotel Circle, 5 minutes to the beach and Polynesian themed..
Restaurants that I love are;
georgesatthecove.com Terrace is the best!
ljbtc.com Marine Room for lunch
The Prado in Balboa Park
I would not do Tijuana in no way shape or form!
Torrey Pines state reserve is gorgeous for a lovely hike..
The SD Zoo is awesome and also the surrounding areas of Balboa Park with the Botancial Gardens and the Musuems..
Del Mar is wonderful and the ponies will be running when you are here and it is a blast and a gorgeous place to go.. dmtc.com
Also, I forgot to go to jakesdelmar.com
it's oceanfront and the food is pretty good..
If you love baseball, the downtown Petco Park where are Padres.com play might have a game going on and there is alot of things to do in the Gaslamp area and you must not forget Coronado..
hoteldel.com just to walk around and the beaches are beautiful and for cheap eats and good is the happy hour across from the Del which is the
brigantine.com the best fish tacos and Marg's for under $10 and that is for 2 tacos and a marg!
Have fun and keep us posted!

TahitiTams Jul 5th, 2006 10:39 AM

Hi liveinthemoment..
I goofed on the hotel website for the hanaleihotel.com
Best to you!

jsmfromME Jul 5th, 2006 06:04 PM

When my hisband and I and another couple visited San Diego, we rented a condo in Solana Beach, which is about 30 minutes north. Well worth it, though. Check out VRBO, as well as Solana Beach Rentals. We'll never stay in hotels again.

TahitiTams Jul 5th, 2006 06:29 PM

I had to reply to the latest comment..vrbo.com is a great source but for most of these rentals are already taken for the month of August and it is on a weekly basis and there is usually a hefty cleaning fee..
They may show it available but it is usually not..If you can find one for under $1,500 for a week that would be great even if you are just staying 5 days..
Solana Beach is gorgeous and one town up from Del Mar but with the horse people in town it is a complete zoo..

calimom29 Jul 11th, 2006 06:23 AM

You are planning during the busiest times in San Diego but do not fret! I would pick a handful of hotels which would really be great and just check the availability. I love La Jolla but the one poster was right about it being expensive however if you love being on the beach and not having to worry over the hassell of parking/paying for parking and wrestling people for parking it's worth EVERY PENNY. I promise. The Hotel Del is very romantic but is located on Coronado so it's a bit more isolated but perfect for relaxation/great restaurants/

Personally, for hotel choices you can't beat The Lodge at Torrey Pines if you like a romantic getaway. Near the Ocean, golf course, sunset ocean views, etc.

I agree about George on the Cove for a special evening with your husband but for everyday eats check out Indigo Grille in the Gaslamp, The Fish Market, and Dakota Grill & Spirits all located in Downtown/Gaslamp.

For sightseeing the Go San Diego Card has some fun things to do and see like the SD Zoo, lots of musuems, whale watching, day trips and so on--might be worth looking into since they're on sale. http://www.gosandiegocard.com