COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Planning a Trip to New York in early December, how is the temperature?

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Hello I am planning my first trip to New York for 4 days arriving Dec. 15. I will coming from Miami so our weather down here is basically warm the whole year through. I would like to know what kind of weather I will be expecting.

Thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:14 AM

It will be cold (plan on at least daytime temps in the 40s, if not lower). However, we don't usually get snow before Christmas.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:33 AM
GoTravel

A good indicator of the daytime highs is to check the ocean tempurature. If it is in the high 40s, chances are your daytime highs will not fall below that.

Beware of the wind whipping through the skyscrapers.

Your best bet is to plan on something like a lined trenchcoat and bring a hat and gloves and plan on layering your clothing.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 05:40 AM
emd

As GoT suggests, do not plan on just a short coat alone. Bring either a longer coat to cover some of your legs or else get silk long johns to go under your pants/jeans. And bring a warm hat, gloves, and maybe a muffler unless you have clothes or a coat that covers your neck. The wind really whips around in NYC; don't forget you are on an island surrounded by water. It has ben freezing frigid cold every time I have gone to NYC in mid-Dec., esp. if you are going anywhere near the water like Battery Park, Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:01 AM

When coming from Miami think COLD!! It will feel extremely cold for you. Layering is best. There is also the wind factor which could make it feel even colder than it what the temp says. Bring all your warm clothes and for sure a hat, covering head and ears. "Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it." That would be my advice to you.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:03 AM

Dec. 15 is mid-December, not "early." That's when my daughter and I visited NYC last year, and found ourselves facing temps in the 20s. In this part of the country, daytime highs can vary from 20s to 50s at that time of year. Since you're used to warmer temperatures, you'll need to just plan on wearing layers, and also warm footwear, hat and gloves.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:18 AM

I've been there in late December when it was minus-5. Brrrr!

You'll get a general idea from the advance weather forcast, right before you leave, but remember to take it with a grain of salt.

If it's going to be cold, and you don't want to buy an expensive winter coat, definitiely go with layers, topped by something windproof like a raincoat. Definitely hat and gloves too.

With luck, it might end up being in the 50s and very pleasant, in a late-fall kind of way.

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:36 AM

December is cold but usually not yet bone-chilling. Plan on days with a high in the low 40's (but could be colder) and may well be in the 20's at night. It is often both damp and windy.

The good news is that there is rarely much snow (more than 2/3") that early in the year - although a couple of years ago we had 11" at Christmas. And we usually don;t get days in the 20's until Jan or Feb.

If you plan on spending any time outdoors you need either a winter coat or a heavy leather jacket (not blazer but lined jacket), hat, scarf, gloves and waterproof shoes or boots/booties. And make sure they are well-broken in for walking and preferably have non-skid (ridged) soles. (I save the high-heeled boots for going out in the evening and during the day wear boots with a fairly low heel.)
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 06:49 AM

wunderground.com is a website that will give you historical weather info for any date in any area. Use their trip planner.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:06 AM

The OP lives in Miami. Any temp in the expected range is going to require them to bundle up, even temps on the high side of normal.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:37 AM
GoTravel

Due to the humidity, 50 degrees in Miami is a heck of a lot warmer than 50 degrees in NYC.