Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Planning a trip to New Orleans with kids in August (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/planning-a-trip-to-new-orleans-with-kids-in-august-204583/)

Maria Apr 23rd, 2002 02:55 PM

Planning a trip to New Orleans with kids in August

I have heard that the weather is very hot in August. Is it hot like Vegas or hot like Florida? Do you think that my kids can survive this weather? We are going to take the Carnival cruise as well.

Norma Apr 23rd, 2002 03:07 PM

It's hot like Florida. In fact, last August we took a cruise from New Orleans. It's about the same as the caribbean that time of year!!

carol Apr 23rd, 2002 03:07 PM

more like florida hot with even more humidity. it will be very uncomfortable. stay at a hotel with a pool and keep the kids cool that way.

kim Apr 23rd, 2002 03:31 PM

Take your kids to the aquarium and the imax. That will keep you entertained and inside for awhile. <BR>Please don't take your kids down Bourbon street unless you are ready to do a lot of explaing about things in windows, flying out of windows and those passing outside windows.

liza Apr 23rd, 2002 04:09 PM

I agree about not taking the kids down Bourbon Street. Not a good idea. It will be very hot - guaranteed. Just dress appropriately and if you want to do outdoor things like the zoo (which I do recommend) do it early in the day. Plan to spend afternoons at the pool, IMAX or Aquarium.

Tony Apr 23rd, 2002 04:30 PM

It is worse than Florida. Most humid place you could ever go, plus all the mosquitoes. Even the AC doesn't help that much.

Yolanda Apr 24th, 2002 04:20 AM

Tony's obviously never been to Orlando in the summer!

ABS Apr 24th, 2002 06:48 AM

Don't forget about the Children's Museum. It's great for all ages. Also they will enjoy taking a river boat from the zoo to the aquarium. Take the street car to the Camellia Grill for breakfast or lunch.<BR><BR>Yes, it will be hot and very humid but I find that children do OK - it's the adults who may suffer when not used to this type of weather.

Tony Apr 25th, 2002 10:46 AM

Yolanda<BR>I have been in Orlando in the summer and as bad as it is, New Orleans is even worse, especially in August. Actually, I can't imagine why anyone would go to either place when there are so many other places to go in the U.S. that are far more comfortable weatherwise.

Dah Apr 25th, 2002 11:56 AM

I have to side with Yolanda. Orlando is MISERABLE in the summer. Last time I was in New Orleans was in August 2000 and it was hot as all get out as well.

Pat May 16th, 2002 09:46 PM

Hello, I am from New Orleans and I have been to Orlando in the summer too and I can definitely tell you that New Orleans is HOT and HUMID in August unless there is a hurricane blowing a breeze through. I advise you to avoid the zoo that time of year. Even the animals won't want to come out in the heat. Meanwhile the Aquarium, Imax, and Children's Museum are all great choices. Have a good time. Pat

Lisa May 16th, 2002 11:57 PM

Yolana, where do you recommend that would be much better weather-wise in August that is within less than a 10 hour drive from Nashville?

Jim May 17th, 2002 12:56 AM

In the summer it is hot everywhere. That is why we go on vacation. Most of us (Americans) should be used to the heat as we do not live in a polar region. New Orleans is hot, so is Orlando and the rest of the South. It is never over 100F in either place so it not unbearable. Drink lots of water, and take your kids down Bourbon St. During the day and evening it is actually very quiet. People are just walking around shopping and eating. I have lived in both New Orleans and Orlando and it is beach weather all summer. Believe it or not, people living here look forward to the summer so we can go to the beach and get a sun tan etc. Orlando and New Orleans winters can get very chilly. Summers are always sunny and around 90-95F both places, which is normal summer weather. If you want to put on your jackets and bundle up for your summer vacation why don't you try Newfoundland Canada. You won't break a sweat, god forbid, and you won't get a suntan and the water is near freezing so you won't be able to swim, but the scenery is great.

Ben May 27th, 2002 09:12 AM

Lisa & everyone, <BR><BR>I love New Orleans & am sitting here now cursing the heat & dryness.It is a lot like Orlando as to heat & the concrete doesn't help cool it off. There are a number of things for kids to do. Here are a couple of sites to check out.<BR><BR>http://www.neworleanskids.com/<BR>http://www.katsandrats.com/new_orleans_for_kids.html<BR><BR>I would suggest someplace like Gatlinburg/ Dollywood if you want a kid friendly place with the possibility of cooler weather.<BR><BR>Bring rain if you come!

Nancy May 27th, 2002 09:16 AM

Kids in New Orleans during August??!! Boy are you asking for it! I wouldn't go to New Orleans anytime from May - late September by myself much less with a child. Think hot, with so much humidity that it will wrap you like a blanket & then think drunk adults. IMHO, New Orleans, at least the French Quarter, is no place for any child.

J Correa Jun 28th, 2002 02:17 PM

I wouldn't go on vacation to New Orleans with the kids in tow. I love NOLA, but it's more of an adult place.

Anne Jul 3rd, 2002 01:39 PM

I live in NO...and it is HOT here in August...very humid, very miserable. But we manage to survive! NO is a great place for kids...tons to do. I wouldn't take them down Bourbon Street even in the day...dirty, smelly, and wayyy too much stuff in the windows! Other's suggestions about the Aquarium and IMAX are great....Children's Museum is great...Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World (take them over on the ferry) ... great places for the best snowballs in the world ... best kept secret for little kids...amusement park in City Park...kid sized rides for cheap $$ ... Jazzland is decent for older kids. Cafe du Monde is always fun for kids... seeing the stuff around Jackson Square... streetcar rides...lots to do!<BR><BR>Just bring along a battery powered fan like you would take to a ball game or festival.. dress comfortably and HAVE FUN!