Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Planning a return trip to the Grand Teton. Has anyone driven the loop through the Wind River Indian Reservation? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/planning-a-return-trip-to-the-grand-teton-has-anyone-driven-the-loop-through-the-wind-river-indian-reservation-312215/)

HowardR Apr 30th, 2003 06:16 AM

Planning a return trip to the Grand Teton. Has anyone driven the loop through the Wind River Indian Reservation?

From what I read it sounds like it's worth a day or two during our trip. Imput appreciated.

utahtea Apr 30th, 2003 06:27 AM

HowardR,

If I remember correctly you have a week to see Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. I personally would concentrate on those areas.

We've driven route 26 & 287 from the Grand Tetons to Landers, WY. Yes, its a beautiful drive but I wouldn't do more than spend one day driving there and back to the Grand Tetons. There is so much more to do and see in the National Parks.

If you want a beautiful drive do the Beartooth Highway 212 from the North East Entrance of Yellowstone to Red Lodge, Montana. Now there's a road to remember!

Utahtea

HowardR Apr 30th, 2003 07:09 AM

Thanks Utahtea. You must be thinking of another post. I agree that with you that with a week, one should concentrate on Yellowstone and Grand Teton. However, we've previously done that trip and loved it, especially the Teton part, which is why we're going back! In fact, we loved the Teton so much the first time that we plan to spend most of the week there and may not even get back to Yellowstone! If we do, I'll certainly keep your suggestion about Beartooth Highway in mind.
We became interested in the Wind River Indian Reservation loop after reading the detailed description of it in the Wyoming book of the Discovering America series (one of the best travel series for American destinations in the west).

Connie Apr 30th, 2003 03:16 PM

The Beartooth Hwy is a MUST for that area. You won't find scenery this fabulous many places in the U.S. You can drive it in a few hours. It's even worth driving over and then back. The views are different each way.

utahtea Apr 30th, 2003 06:05 PM

The Wind River area was beautiful and I wish we had more time to spend there when we drove though. This would be a good area to do more exploring.

Just outside of Landers, Wyoming we spent some time at Sink Canyon State Park which was worth some time.

Utahtea

HowardR May 1st, 2003 06:26 AM

Thanks for the responses. Utahtea, that's just the type info I was looking for!

mlm59 May 1st, 2003 06:13 PM

After visiting the Tetons last summer we drove through Wind River Country and truly enjoyed it. We also visited Sinks Canyon. The best part of our trip was the night we spent at the Early Ranch Bed and Breakfast near Crowheart, WY. The ranch sets quite a distance off the road (I was glad I had rented a Jeep Liberty). The Wind River runs through the ranch. They raise horses and Border Collies. My daughter is an animal lover and had a wonderful time. After leaving there, we drove south and stopped at South Pass City. This was also an interesting place to visit.

Connie May 2nd, 2003 08:34 PM

East of Farson, are some very long, vivid tracks from the Oregon Trail. Just east of Muddy Gap (southeast of Lander) is Independent Rock with hundreds of names of Oregon Trail travelers carved on a huge rock formation.