Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

Planning a Colorado road trip for 5 days and need help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't decide on what itinerary is better. Please leave suggestions and tips for me.

I only have 5 days so I am going to try and see and do as much as possible but I also don't want to over extend myself.

Itinerary #1 -

Head west out of Denver stop at Red Rocks then out to Winter Park and up to Lake Granby. I then would continue on that look too Estes Park. After that I would want to do Fort Collins and head south to Boulder.

I like this trip but it is also the most miles. Is there anything I could cut out. I was thinking of skipping Fort Collins but I am interested in the breweries up there.

Itinerary #2 -

Is basically the same as the first but it would cut out Lake Granby and Winter Park. Would I regret this?

Please help me out, i'm open to changing my plans. I just know I want to do Red Rocks, Boulder and Estes park.

Thank you!
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 08:18 AM

Google maps has your first route as 283 miles.

Eliminate Winter Park and Lake Granby and it's down to 203 miles.

Keep Winter Park and Lake Granby but eliminate Fort Collins and it's 223 miles.

So you'd save 80 miles of driving - that's maybe 1.5 hours of driving. Big deal. Keep your original itinerary.

When you visit Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park, you would want to drive up Trail Ridge Road to the west side of the park anyway, and you would see all of that by entering from the west at Grand Lake after you drive through Lake Granby and Winter Park. So you might as well keep those 2 in the loop because you'd drive part of that route anyway on Trail Ridge Road - and because it really doesn't add much extra mileage or time to your loop.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 09:03 AM

Yup; and stop for lunch (or a meal) at the Grand Lake Lodge (http://grandlakelodge.rtrk.com/?scid..._id=9339692628) and take in breathtaking views!
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 09:10 AM

Are you going to take five days to do this route? Then you'll have plenty of time for a leisurely trip. If it's a one day trip, it's a long day. There's so many places to stop in Rocky Mountain National Park. Although there are breweries in Fort Collins, you may not be able to sample all their wares if you're driving back to Denver anyway, so cut that part of the trip out, I'd say.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

It's going to be more like 3 full days. I arrive in Denver Friday afternoon and I will leave 6am Sunday and head west. I fly out very late Tuesday.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 10:39 AM

I think you mean Grand Lake, not Lake Granby-- which is connected to Grand Lake, but is not the big tourist draw.

We had dinner at Grand Lake Lodge last weekend, on their porch. The views are unmatchable! The food is good, but not special like it used to be. But you can't beat the atmosphere of that historic lodge with the fireplace in the middle of the lobby.

I would skip Fort Collins.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Grand lake lodge sounds great, thanks! I'm on the fence about Fort Collins. Is there anything to see/do there besides the breweries?
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 01:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I live in Fort Collins and love it and always have a lot to do. But considering your time frame I'd agree with PeaceOut and make it your lowest priority. And as tekwriter says, you can't sample many beers and then drive to Denver on I-25.

But you have plenty of time to do the Winter Park - Estes Park loop of your first option, and you'll still get to try Fort Collins beers wherever you wind up spending the night.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 02:45 PM

Yes, Fort Collins is a fine little town, but tough to fit in this trip IMHO.

We know Winter Park and Boulder quite well, so ask away about them.

Did you look to see if there is a concert at Red Rocks when you are here?
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

PeaceOut and Nelson - Thanks for the response.

couple quick questions...

Am I better off spending the night in Winter Park or Grand Lake. I am leaning towards grand lake at this point in time.

Have the fires hit the area badly? i will be there first week in september...

Is there anything else you think I should checkout that I am missing?
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 06:56 AM

No, the fires have not been in Winter Park or Grand Lake. When we were there last weekend, there was lots of nice rainfall, so things are less volatile there now.

Staying at Grand Lake is a good idea, after you drive through Rocky Mtn Natl Park. Try this site for info:

http://www.grandlakechamber.com/lodging.html