Texas info

Old Aug 7th, 2017, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas info

My wife and I intend to visit Texas in April for 3 weeks. We will fly into Houston and rent a car at the airport for the duration. Any suggestions to see as much as possible in the allotted time will be appreciated. We are in our late 60's so nothing too strenuous. Would like to visit any cities of interest.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 11:01 AM

I don't even know what you're asking about. What is a city "of interest" if you don't tell us what you're interested in?

Three weeks is a large amount of time to dedicate to Texas. You can go end-to-end through the state. But until your interests are defined, suggestions more precise than "go to Houston, Austin, San Antonio and Dallas" are a bit worthless.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 11:05 AM

Yeah I don't really know where to start. Some interests? I have lived in TX my whole life, in various cities but I draw a complete blank when asked what to do for three weeks here. It's a big place, you could spend the whole time driving and the scenery isn't much to write home about. I'll put it this way - a lot of us that don't mind a roadtrip will fly to another destination to start it, so we don't spend the first 10 hours getting out of Texas.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 11:08 AM

April is a good time for bluebonnets in the Hill Country area. Since you're starting in Houston, I would aim for San Antonio and spend some time in the Hill Country. Make stops for things like Royers Round Top café in Round Top. Enchanted Rock in Fredericksburg. I'm not sure what "nothing too strenuous" means - my parents are in their 70s and hike the Rock regularly. Even if you didn't hike a lot, a stroll around there in April would be lovely .

Those are a few activities that would appeal to most people. After that - I would need to know what you enjoy doing before I could recommend much more.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 11:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You picked Texas and you decided 3 weeks would be good. So youmust have some ideas where you want to go and what you want to do.

WHY did you pick Texas? Maybe then we can help you . . .
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 11:37 AM

3 weeks in Texas is a long time, driving distances notwithstanding.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

I guess that Texas isn't a good idea for a 3 week trip. May have to think again.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 12:27 PM

>

Yes and no. After all, there's plenty to do in Texas if you're going to traverse the whole state, but you need to have a bloody clue as to what you want to do before assigning three weeks to do it.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 12:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I guess that Texas isn't a good idea for a 3 week trip. May have to think again.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 12:55 PM

Indeed, if you could say "We are trying to decide between TX and "XX" we could offer better ideas. I would rather spend 3 weeks in April in TX than, say, Indiana, but would choose CA over TX.

but let's at least answer your question. 1) Houston is a pit, so I would avoid it altogether, unless you get an airfare/rental package that makes going in/out of Houston worthwhile. There may also be some pro tennis/golf/baseball events in Houston in April to check out. otherwise the city is completely unpalatable. 2) San Antonio is one of the most tourist friendly cities in America and that is a more logical place to start from - It has the famous riverwalk and a variety of other historical sites to visit and explore. Also some fine museums. 3) going north from SAT is New Branfels, which has some very interesting German heritage sites to vist, then you'll come to 4) Austin - whose semi-official motto is: "Keep Austin Weird" - so it is a fun town to visit. State capitol, museums, U of Texas campus, great, great live music scene. 5) then go west through the TX hill country and don't miss the LBJ ranch in Stonewall - visit some TX wineries, possible side trip to Luckenbach, if you were a Willie and Waylon fan 6) then go farther west to BIG BEND National park. Gorgeous wild and remote scenery and hiking. 7) return to SAT or keep going west to El Paso, the latter just to quickly drop off your car and hop on the airplane as no one spends the night in El Paso if they don't have to, but a side trip to Juarez can be fun. !!! only during broad daylight - DO NOT STAY IN JUAREZ WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN!! 8) Do check out the description of Texas State Parks (https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks) as there are many nearby and along my proposed routing, some of which you may be interested and some of which you may not be interested.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other Q's
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 02:42 PM

If you're flying into Houston, I would definitely go to Space Center Houston; while you're down there, enjoy lunch at the Kemah boardwalk outside by the water. You could also head to nearby Galveston - there are some beautiful historic homes you can tour like Bishop's Palace and head to Moody Gardens for the rainforest pyramid, aquarium, etc. You would definitely want to go to San Antonio and enjoy the River Walk; we like eating at Boudro's, and there's a fun river boat tour you can take to learn the history of the area; the Alamo is nearby as well. There's tons to do in Austin, and we also love the little town of Gruene - eat at the Grist Mill right on the river, enjoy all the little shops, and enjoy Texas' oldest dance hall.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 02:47 PM

I forgot to mention the Salt Lick - great BBQ place in Driftwood if you end up going to Austin. We also love eating at the Oasis and enjoying the lake views. If you like shopping, Houston has fantastic shopping at the Galleria, some great museums like the Museum of Fine Arts, the Menil Collection, and the Museum of Natural Science with the butterfly pyramid. Also wonderful theater like the Wortham, Jones Hall, and the Alley Theatre. Definitely check out Minute Maid Park for a baseball game as well - grab a Shake Shack burger or Torchy's Tacos while you're there.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Was thinking of doing a circular road trip, Houston - Corpus Christi - San Antonio - Austin - Dallas/Fort Worth and back to Houston with maybe an add on to New Orleans or the hill country if feasible. We have travelled extensively in other parts of the USA so would just like to see as much as possible of Texas.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 06:26 AM

I like docdan1's itinerary a lot. Although, I bristled at the description of Houston as a "pit" - I grew up there, live near Dallas now, and much prefer the vibe of Houston overall. Then I let my hackles down because I would never suggest either city as a vacation destination unless you were going for a specific purpose. For example, we are baseball fans, so any chance to hit up a new ballpark is a good reason to visit a new city that isn't ordinarily considered a "vacation" spot.

Anyhoo, yeah. So I wouldn't really suggest Houston (or Dallas, to be fair) unless you had a specific pull. You could start there, head to Galveston like Volcanogirl suggested. It's a nice, underrated city. Keep your beachy expectations low and hit up the Strand and other sites Volcanogirl suggested, also the Space Center in Clear Lake, Kemah boardwalk. Then head off to San Antonio / Hill Country and do the loop docdan1 laid out. Or vice versa.

100% completely suggest skipping the Dallas segment. Unless, again, there is a pull... say, a ballpark, or an extreme level of interest in the JFK assassination - there is nothing to see here that you won't see in Houston or San Antonio. Dallas is a good 6 hours from San Antonio, 5 hours from Houston, so 11 hours of flat highway driving out of your way if you did it in a loop.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 07:08 AM

<3) going north from SAT is New Branfels, which has some very interesting German heritage sites to vist, then you'll come to >

I agree, but it's New Braunfels. Cool place!
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 07:10 AM

Wanted to add, I always wanted to visit Marfa, for all the art, especially Donald Judd, and also the famous Marfa lights.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marfa,_Texas
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 08:26 AM

OK, I guess I overstated my dislike of Houston - lived there two years and couldn't get out fast enough. but that's me. in April a hidden gem in Houston is the Opera in the Heights wh owill be doing Bernstein's Candide - highly recommended, a light opera experience you just don't find much in the US. http://www.operaintheheights.org/welcome/
Apr. 13 – 7:30 PM
Apr. 15 – 2:00 PM
Apr. 19 – 7:30 PM
Apr. 21 – 7:30 PM
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 08:29 AM

The above comments about the Museum are correct ( I must reluctantly agree ) and especially the comments about Gruene are very spot on, it is a very cute little corner of Texas, and if you can get to the dance hall on a night that it is open, yes, it is the quintessential Texas experience.

Pronounced "green" If you attempt to pronounce it with Hochdeutch as in Groene ( with the umlaut) the typical Texan will have no idea what you are saying.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 08:54 AM

We just did an awesome little boat tour down Buffalo Bayou in Houston. It was through the Buffalo Bayou Partnership - you can check their website for other activities. I know they do a number of boat tours. It was really fun. I love Houston, but agree it's more of a live in city vs. a vacation destination just like Dallas.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 09:11 AM

Clarification: The above comments about the HOUSTON Museums are correct - if interested in Mil history add to the list the Battleship Texas and San Jacinto Battleground sites. on the far east side of town. These are interesting sites, but not worth expending an extra day in Houston for. If you haven't been to New Orleans before, or want to back, that is a very reasonable 5 1/2 hour drive through the Louisiana Bayou. Many Americans will add to that a side trip to New Iberia/Avery island to visit the Tabasco factory. (for some this is a near spiritual pilgrimage experience)

Having just trashed Houston, I now must begrudgingly say that few cities in the US can match Houston's food scene. They have had countless outstanding restaurants pop up in the last few years. Two very, very unique examples which I mention as outstanding values, are Jonathan's The Rub on Katy Freeway, for just and very good classic American food, and The Original Marini's Empanada House on Westheimer, a restaurant which serve exclusively authentic Argentinian empanadas.

Also, a nice two hour drive/overnight trip a whole lot of Texans enjoy is a trip to Garner State Park near Uvalde. Lots of nice hiking trails and an area with unusual greenery for such an area of West Texas.

In San Antonio, they now have two riverboat excursions you can take - the first one is the traditional downtown circular route, and the second is the newer route which goes from downtown northward to the old Pearl brewery, which is now converted to a new gallery/shopping/restaurant complex, and is strongly recommended.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -