Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Places to stop in North or South Carolina while traveling to Myrtle Beach (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/places-to-stop-in-north-or-south-carolina-while-traveling-to-myrtle-beach-781663/)

hdcaplan Apr 28th, 2009 09:11 AM

Places to stop in North or South Carolina while traveling to Myrtle Beach

We are going to Myrtle Beach at the end of May for five days with friends, who got a great deal at a Marriott time share. We are in our 60s and 70s and enjoy sightseeing, shopping, theatre, etc. Would love to have suggestions about things to do in the area or on our way home to Maryland. We've been to Charleston, but would love to go again; how long a drive is it? Appreciate other suggestions too. Thanks.

SAnParis2 Apr 28th, 2009 09:33 AM

Charleston would be easily doable as a daytrip (probably 1.5 - 2 hours) depending on what past of MB you are staying in. Other suggestions would be Southport & Wilmington. You'll go right by both on 17 in NC. You can then catch I-40 to I-95 from there.

BaltoTraveler Apr 28th, 2009 09:48 AM

There is good pork barbecue to be had in the towns along I-95 in North Carolina (e.g. Parker's in the town of Wilson, or Smithfield's in Smithfield).

If you are history buffs, the battlefield at Petersburg, Virginia is interesting, with costumed interpreters and re-enactors in the summer. (A big detour to Williamsburg would be much better, of course, but would consume much more time.)

BaltoTraveler Apr 28th, 2009 09:49 AM

My suggestions were for "on the road", of course, and not for day-trips out from Myrtle.

GoTravel Apr 28th, 2009 10:04 AM

By the time you cross the state line into SC you'll be in Myrtle Beach.

There isn't much off I-95 if that is the direction you are heading.

Please tell me you will not be in Myrtle Beach over Memorial Weekend.

It is Black Bike Week and party central in Myrtle Beach.

www.BlackBeachWeek.com

RetiredVermonter Apr 28th, 2009 11:14 AM

hdcaplan:

I cannot tell from your post if you are coming down the coast or from somewhere inland. Are you coming on I-95, as people assume, or perhaps from farther west?

If you will be inland at all, the Biltmore Estate, in Asheville, NC is fantastic, as I mentioned in my recent trip report.

Good luck and enjoy!

Barblab May 3rd, 2009 10:35 AM

I second the Biltmore if you are anywhere remotely close. We were there last week and it is fabulous!!! Ashville and that whole area are beautiful.

hdcaplan May 16th, 2009 12:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. We were in Asheville 2 years ago and loved it, but won't be making it back there this time. We've also spent many lovely vacations in Williamsburg -- another great suggestion.

What we plan on doing is driving straight from Maryland to MB, then spending 3 nights in Charleston. I'd love suggestions for restaurants in these areas. Has anyone eaten at the Swamp Fox in Charleston? Also would appreciate sightseeing ideas.

Thanks.