Reload this Page >

Places to stay in Zion, Bryce, Lake Powell

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Elaine

Does anyone have any suggestions for nicer than ordinary type motel accomodations in the Zion, Bryce and Lake Powell regions? We're hoping to find places that are a little more like a resort.

Old May 9th, 2002, 02:56 AM
Tricia

Elaine,
From researching this topic myself, I gathered that one of the "nicest" resort type facilities is the Wahweap Lodge and Marina in Page, for the Lake Powell area.
Do a search here for places near Zion and Bryce, there's a ton of information w/many opinions to read! Good luck.

Old May 9th, 2002, 04:11 AM
xx

The Warweep Lodge in Lake Powell comes closest to being a "resort" in that area. There is nothing resembling a resort in Bryce or anywhere near Bryce. For that matter, there aren't that many Motels in the area. The same can be said for Zion except there are more choices in Springdale. There are lodges in both Zion and Bryce but, at best, they are on a level of budget accommodations except for their price. You won't find any upscale dining options in any of these places either.

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:00 AM
RB

For both Zion and Bryce, the natural wonders at the park are the stars- there are no resort-type accommodations. At Bryce, the three closest accommodations to the park are the lodge within the park, Ruby's Best Western (a very large motel), and the Bryce Pines, which reminds me of a mom & pop motel. I always advocate staying at the lodge, just for the fact you can roll out of bed pre-dawn to get to Sunrise Point for sunrise. At Zion, again the lodge affords the best vantage point for taking in the natural beauty, but the accommodations in Springdale also bear a look. Do a search on "Desert Pearl" and "Flanigans"- seems like these two have rated good comments. The NPS shuttle has various pick-up points in Springdale, so that proves handy for going into the park. Hope this is helpful.

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:19 AM
none

There's nothing more than motels near Zion and Bryce. As another reader pointed out, the accomodations near Bryce are not as great as Zion and the ones that are available are quite a few miles away.

If at all possible, book a cabin at the repective parks. It's nothing more than a glorified motel room but it's quite nice to wake up in the morning INSIDE the park, rather than driving up to it..Or you can always sleep in a little then walk to your trails while everyone else is battling for parking.

Old May 14th, 2002, 10:56 AM
jill

We just got back from Zion and stayed at the best b&b I've ever spent $95 on! No pool (unlike Flanigan's and Desert Pearl) but it was quiet, calm, and a fantastic breakfast. It's called the Red Rock Inn (they have a website). Individual little cabin/rooms for yourself. It was fantastic and I highly recommend it!

Old May 31st, 2002, 07:54 AM
virginia

Have stayed at Zion at both the Red Rock Inn and Desert Pearl, twice each place. RRI is little, comfy, good breakfast, good location in town, DP has INCREDIBLE location on the Virgin River. It's like a REALLY nice motel, 2 stories, ask for a room overlooking the river, you'll have a balcony or a deck overlooking a lawn, then the river right there. Rooms are huge, pretty, has fridge, sink, microwave, good location in town. The whole town of Springdale is almost like a resort, its location at the mouth of Zion Canyon is so lovely.

Old May 31st, 2002, 10:00 AM
ellen g

In our travels to Bryce Canyon (our favorite canyon) we have stayed both at Ruby's and also within Bryce Canyon at the Bryce Canyon Lodge. The lodge is quite nice and our building was relatively new and nicely decorated. We had both lunch and breakfast there too, and found both to be plentiful and delicious.

Our two teens prefered being in the lodge, however we all enjoyed our stay at Ruby's too. There's more to do there ~ IF you need a break from all the scenery lol. The indoor pool is olympic size and great after a day in the canyon. We also went to Ruby's rodeo.....not quite as good as the one in Cody, Wyoming, but fun nevertheless. While I wouldn't call Ruby's a 'resort' (altho some do)it is more than the Nat'l Park Lodges.

We spent only a day in Zion, moving on to stay at the Wonderland Motel, just outside Capitol Reef National Park.

Another year, we explored Lake Powell and Page, but again continued on, staying at Gouldings Lodge in Mounument Valley that year, I believe.

If you have the time, I would suggest focusing on the spectacular natural wonders, and then head to Vegas or Scottsdale and find one of the myriad of resorts available there. JMHO.

Enjoy your trip ~ you'll be in God's Country!