Reload this Page >

Places to stay in Penn Dutch Country?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 01:49 PM
SueOz

Planning to stay in this area for 2-3 nights in early Spring. Looking for a charming inn with amenities. Any suggestions by people who have stayed there or live there would be much appreciated!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 05:47 PM
elise

Try the Kings Cottage in Lancaster, the carriage house is very romantic http://www.kingscottagebb.com/

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 06:44 PM
ee

strausbourg inn-not sure of the spelling.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 10:11 PM
lcuy

We stayed at Churchtown Inn. It was wonderful. Charming rooms, beautiful garden, good food, and the owners play piano and do broadway tunes in the evening if the guests want. They'll arrange dinner with an Amish family, a wagon ride tour (with a Mennonite) and will generally make you stay memorable. We had a room on the front, and on Sunday morning we were able to peek out and watch all the Amish families ride their buggies to church (without them noticing us). You are in the heart of Amish country, near covered bridges, craft shops, etc, but in a quiet and quaint neighborhood, just down the road from Intercourse and all those spots. Highly recommended! They do not allow children under 12 though, if I remember correctly.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 10:19 PM
lcuy

I meant to give you their web site: http://www.churchtowninn.com/

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Stephanie P.

Checkout the website RedCaboosemotel.com. It is about 14 to 15 train cars that you can stay in that were made into rooms. It is located very close to all the touristy things, yet out in the countryside. There is a petting zoo, Red Caboose diner and an amazing train shop. It's located in Strausberg (sp).

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 12:52 PM
jan

The Swiss Woods Inn (Lititz, PA) is where we stayed and loved it! I found it at bedandbreakfast.com

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 07:11 AM
elaine

Historic Smithton Inn is located in Ephrata. This is a lovely property.
Check out:
www.historicsmithinn.com

I believe there are reduced rates for early Spring.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Merilee

Don't miss out on the chance to dine at Miller's Smorgasbord for dinner...it is an unbelievably huge and delicious buffet...it's on Route 30 in Ronks.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Liz

I've stayed at both the Kings Cottage and Swiss Woods and like Swiss Woods a bit more. Kings Cottage is in the main town of Lancaster just off a main road - it's not noisy but if you want to be more off the main drag go with Swiss Woods. It's in Lititz way off the main road and has lots of property to roam around. In either case both are fabulous and romantic. The rooms are wonderful. As someone else mentioned, the carriage house at King's Cottage is VERY romantic (but it's pricey). Also, the Appenzell Room at Swiss Woods was really nice. Their web site's are http://www.kingscottagebb.com/ and http://www.swisswoods.com/

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:17 AM
s

Limestone Inn...the owners are wonderful people...the house is circa early 17th century...the breakfasts are great..its in strasburg