Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   places to stay in Hudson valley, new york (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/places-to-stay-in-hudson-valley-new-york-902959/)

jokaca Aug 16th, 2011 03:31 PM

places to stay in Hudson valley, new york

Will be in new york first week of october. can you reccomend some places to stay in Hudson valley.

ellenem Aug 16th, 2011 04:07 PM

Anyplace you need to be near? Because the Hudson River has only a few bridges, it would be good to know if you need to be in a particular area.

HowardR Aug 16th, 2011 04:59 PM

The Hudson Valley covers a lot of territory. In what part of it do you expect to spend your time?

nytraveler Aug 16th, 2011 05:00 PM

Who/how many are you? And what is your budget?

Are you a couple looking for an upscale inn? Or a family looking for a budget family-friendly motel?

J62 Aug 16th, 2011 06:16 PM

Generally speaking one can divide the Hudson valley into several regions.

- lower Hudson, near Tarrytown & Tappan Zee Bridge, extending up to about West Point/Bear Mountain Bridge.

- mid Hudson, around Newburgh/Poughkeepsie/Kingston/Rhinebeck/Hyde Park

- not sure what it's called, but the more rural area between Rhinebeck & Albany, including the town of Hudson

- Albany metropolitan area

There's also the area north of Albany, but when one speaks of the Hudson valley it usually means between NYC and Albany.

There are different things to see and do in each of the regions. So, as the others have indicated if you know which area you're considering we can help with you details.

If you're not sure then that's fine too. Tell us what your interests are and we can give you pointers.

Here's a very nice recent trip report on the Hudson Valley.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...m#last-comment

Scroll down to the Aug 12 post by abram.

>>>abram on Aug 12, 11 at 7:32am

Today is our seventh (and last) day of a Hudson River Valley trip--and we certainly could have used more time. We've had a wonderful vacation-- combination of history, art, and nature.

We started in Tarrytown, had lunch at Lefteris (very good) and toured Kykuit (I recommend the three hour "Grand" tour), had an excellent Indian dinner at Tanjore in Fishkill.

Sunday we went to Boscobel, Manitoga (fabulous) and DIA:Beacon (reminded me that I'm too unsophisticated to "get" modern art),liked the Eveready Diner in Hyde Park.

Monday, the Vanderbilt Mansion, the Roosevelt sites, Poet's Walk Park, good sushi at Wasabi in Hudson.

Tuesday, Olana, the Martin Van Buren site, afternoon with an old friend, dinner at an odd place in Tannersville--hiking to Kaaterskill Falls got rained out.

Wednesday, first Senate House (not worth it), river boat cruise in Kingston, Maritime Museum, Walkway Over The Hudson in Highland, hiking in Mohonk Preserve, very good Thai dinner at Lemongrass in New Paltz.

Thursday, Huguenot St, Washington's HQ, Storm King (amazing), good Mexican dinner at Maria Bonita in Highland Falls. We're staying at the Thayer Hotel in West Point--what a mistake!.

Today, we'll tour West Point, go to Fort Montgomery, then back to Tarrytown for the weekend. The reason for our trip is the Ardsley HS class of '66 reunion.<<<<

abram Aug 16th, 2011 06:33 PM

It was challenging to find the kind of lodging we like--it seemed that our choices in many spots were dumpy motels or pricey B&Bs, neither of which really suits us. I wanted mid-range hotels, with free wifi, a frig, and a cofee maker.

Here's where we stayed and a brief comment about each:
Fishkill Homestead Suites: nothing fancy, but not dumpy; I liked having a kitchen.
Hyde Park Quality Inn: also OK, nothing special, good enough
Hudson Inn at Ca'Mea: small but beautiful room, great manager
Palenville Clark House B&B: pretty room, missing a clock and bathroom storage, delightful owners
New Paltz Motel 87: just barely good enough
West Point Thayer Hotel: our list of complaints (that the hotel agreed was legitimate) was so long that they credited us $80
Tarrytown Doubletree: beautiful large room, the nicest place we stayed

jokaca Aug 16th, 2011 08:48 PM

wow thanks for your help...We are going out to a wedding on Long Island the 1 of Oct then thought we would travel up the hudson Valley and then across to MIddlebury vermont...and down into Connitecut. We'll take off on the 14th from JFK..There are just the two of us..We just want nice lodging, doesn't have to be Bed and Breakfast. We are from California..thanks

abram Aug 17th, 2011 02:45 AM

ou may want to read a guidebook, look at a map, and tell us what towns you are going to visit. That would make it easier for us to be helpful.

Michael Aug 17th, 2011 07:04 AM

You may want to read my report on a trip up the Hudson valley, although it would be of no help for the type of accommodations you are looking for; click on my name to find it.

steviegene Aug 17th, 2011 09:32 AM

We loved Mohonk Mountain house in NewPaltz, NY (very romantic, although expensive).

cjap Aug 18th, 2011 08:46 AM

The Beekman Arms and Delamater Inn in Rhinebeck, NY dates back to the 1700's and is one of the oldest operating inns in the US. You can stay in the historical building or one of the newer additions. There's a restaurant and pub too. The village itself is very quaint and there are many little shops and restaurants. Arielle's on East Market serves good food in a nice setting. Also in this area to visit is historical Hyde Park, NY. There you can visit the Roosevelt Mansion, Eleanor Roosevelt's (Val-Kill) cottage, and the Vanderbilt Mansion. The views of the Hudson River from the Roosevelt Mansion are beautiful. There are places to sit and enjoy this view. If you do travel to this area I have to suggest you stop at The Eveready Diner for any type of meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, desserts, shakes)you desire. It's an institution, so to speak. If you desire finer dining, the Culinary Insitute of America is there too and you can choose from different options. All of these places have websites, which will help you make a decision. I think it's one of the best areas to visit in the Hudson Valley.

cjap Aug 18th, 2011 08:50 AM

I forgot to mention the Belvedere Mansion on old Route 9 in Staatsburg for lodging. There aren't any tv's in the rooms, but they serve a gourmet breakfast. Rhinebeck is also home to the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, where you can watch air shows.

jokaca Aug 18th, 2011 11:47 AM

Each response helps so much..We will be in the area for 10 days starting on the 30 of sept thru the 10th of Oct..have a wedding on Long Island..After NYC...thinking we will do the coast of Conn. then head thru the west side of Conn up thru mass to about Middlebury Vermont (to see a little color) then back via the Hudson valley. WE are leaving the night of Columbus day so I'm thinking for traffic purposes maybe we should stay near JFK the night before. Any other thoughts or loding suggestions appreciated.

Michael Aug 18th, 2011 11:58 AM

State highway 100 might be the best way to see Fall colors. It starts at the Mass. border and goes up the spine of the Green Mountains.

If going during Fall colors, you had better make reservations <b>now</b>.