Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Places to stay in Coronado (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/places-to-stay-in-coronado-108391/)

Jim Feb 25th, 2001 01:54 PM

Places to stay in Coronado

Will be spending 4 nights in San Diego and are pretty set on staying in Coronado. The Hotel Del Coronado is probably out of our price range but have seen many places on Coronado that are in that range. <BR> <BR>Would appreciate info on places in Coronado that aren't too too expensive but will offer many pleasing ammenities and allow us to enjoy a great trip. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>Jim

Kara Feb 26th, 2001 05:49 AM

Mr. Sullivan, the teacher from Moody Jr. High School is this you?

Kara Feb 26th, 2001 06:01 AM

Hi Jim, Regardless of whether this is my old principal or not...here is some info on Coronado. I lived there for 5 years. All of these hotels, except Lowes are within walking distance of everthing. The whole island is only 3 miles long. <BR>1. Marriot-right on the bay overlooking downtown San Diego. Very beautiful, full service and within walking distance to everything. Probably slightly less than the Hotel Del Coronado <BR>2. Lowes-typical great Lowes. Out on the Silver Strand, which is a sand spit south of Coronado. A 5 min. drive to Coronado proper. <BR>3. Best Western-on the corner of 3rd Ave and Orange. Orange Ave. is the main drag through town. They have a small pool, but as far as Best Westerns go I am sure it is nice. <BR>4. The Cordova--a little spanish style hotel on Orange Ave. In the heart of "downtown" Coronado, there is a small pool. It does not look like a traditional hotel in that it is built into a building that has shops on the bottom floors. I always thought it was neat. <BR>5. Glorietta Bay Inn-Used to be the home of the man that owned Hotel Del Coronado which is right across the street. Glorietta is a block down from the Cordova and like Cordova is about 300 yards from the beach. <BR>6. There are several other very small motel type places on Orange Ave which are probably fine if you are only looking for a bed to sleep in. <BR>To answer your other post about Cordova vs. Glorietta...having not stayed at either...from the outside view I would say stay at Glorietta. Email me if you have any other questions about Coronado or San Diego. Kara <BR>ps-from your post I can tell you are at UML. I am from Lowell, as well.

paul Feb 26th, 2001 06:54 AM

I agree with the above post about everything except the Marriott being walking distance to everything. The Coronado Marriott is a great hotel and definitly should be considered but it is quite a long walk to the center of town and the (ocean) beach. I do not think it is walking distance for many people. That said, they probably have a shuttle to take guests to village and beach so staying there shouldn't be a problem.

Jim Feb 26th, 2001 01:52 PM

Thanks a bunch.... this is grat help!! Any other comments are more than welcome! <BR> <BR>Jim

Jim Feb 26th, 2001 02:02 PM

Kara: <BR> <BR>Forgive me for being so rude and ignoring your original question. Do you hail from the great great All American City of Lowell too??!!! Well that is great. No, I am not the principal of the Moody school, nor am I related to the old City Manager (another question I get asked often). How does a girl from the fine city of Lowell end up in Coronado??? Must be FANTASTIC living out there. STill there?? Hey, I am reading your message again and find that you are from Lowell. That's funny. Good observation. Well, as I said, I will be out in SD for 4 days after coming down the coast from San Fran. Any other points, comments, etc you can think of, please send em to me.... I am hoping for a fantastic journey and any little bit will be great. <BR> <BR>Jim

Jim Feb 26th, 2001 02:13 PM

By the way Kara..... <BR> <BR>Are you related to the former school commitee member?? :) <BR> <BR>Jim

debs Feb 26th, 2001 05:40 PM

Jim-Eat at Miquel's Coquina if it's still there...food is excellent. Do tour the Hotel Del, even if you're not staying there-it's truly beautiful-inside and out. Would recommend a drive to Cabrillo National Monument and the Old Point Lighthouse for both a great history lesson and stunning views. Sounds like you're doing a lot of pre-planning for your trip-hope you enjoy a wonderful time. San Diego and surrounding areas are beautiful.

SDSam Feb 27th, 2001 12:41 AM

Debs is referring to Miguel's Cocina and yes it is still there. It is located in a courtyard across the street from the Hotel Del Coronado. It is not visible from the street but is right next to the Brigantine ( owner of Miguel's Cocina ). <BR> <BR>There is another Miguel's Cocina by Shelter Island. Food is the same ( good ) but the ambience is not nearly as good as the one in Coronado.

Jim Mar 14th, 2001 03:12 PM

Thanks for all the help.... any other suggestions??? <BR> <BR>Jim

Jim Mar 14th, 2001 03:12 PM

Thanks for all the help.... any other suggestions??? <BR> <BR>Jim