Places to go child-free in Orlando

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be visiting the Lake Buena Vista/Orlando area in late September and will be without the kids. We are looking for suggestions for good restaurants(hubby is a serious meat and potatoes guy) that are not too upscale and fluffy. I am also looking for a nice dayspa where I can be pampered with massage, facial, etc. Which theme park would be a must for an adult who has never been to Disney/Universal Studios? Any suggestions are helpful and appreciated
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:56 AM

linaatoz, I would suggest one of the many restaurants on Sand Lake road west of I-4 for many good restaurants that will relatively kid free (Mortons, Ruth's Chris, Timpano, Roys, for example). It is fairly close to the LBV area. As for day spa's I hear that the Ritz Carlton/JW Marriott hotel complex has one of the best. As for theme parks I would recommend Disney's EPCOT as the most adult friendly, and is my favorite park.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:04 AM

Lake Buena Vista is actually about 8-10 miles from downtown Orlando, but my suggestion for steak and potatoes is in a suburb called Ocoee, just north of Windermere.

There is a German steakhouse called Matthew's Steaks and More which is very laid back yet very nice. They serve rumpsteak (basically fat free), filets, and a 24 oz Porterhouse. Prices start at about $15.95 for steak. The meals include baked potato and salad. The high quality of the steak never changes. The seasoning is absolutely delicious.

If you're interested, they are closed on Mondays but open for lunch Tuesday thru Friday and dinner Tuesday thru Sunday. The phone number is 407-877-0003.

From Lake Buena Vista, you would go north on Apopka Vineland Road (past Romano's Macaroni Grill, Joe's Crab Shack, etc.) approximately 10 minutes to Conroy-Windermere Road (a few traffic lights past Sand Lake Rd), turn left, go about 2 miles to Main Street, then turn right and go about 3 miles to the Publix shopping center on the right and there's Matt's!

For a day spa, there are SO many! I've heard good things about the Wyndham Palace.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:20 AM

My wife and I made this same childless trip last September and probably had the best vacation of our lives. We are not amusement ride fans so we focused on DisneyWorld and not Universal. I would have to admit that we felt like the adult couple that Disney features in their Fall ads.Buy the DisneyWorld for Adults book and trust that it will describe anything that you could want to possibly do. Disney World is the best in the world-enjoy.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:22 AM
GoTravel

Agree with Epcot.

See the educational stuff and Test Track during the day then mosey over to the World Showcase by evening.

We like to happy hour around the world starting with either Margaritas in Mexico or Black & Tans in Great Britain at the Rose and something pub.

Islands of Adventure at Universal is the best park. It is a blast. Spidey is the ultimate simulated/3D thrill ride.

Sea World is my third favorite and Kracken is my favorite roller coaster in Orlando (Kracken, SW; Hulk, IOA, Rockin' Roller Coaster, MGM).

Lastly, Universal Studios is my fourth favorite park for adults. I cut my teeth on Back to the Future. It was my first simulated ride.

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:51 AM

The Spa at the Ritz/Marriott looks incredibly lovely, and there is a Canyon Ranch spa at the Gaylord Palms (which also has a fantastic breakfast or Sun brunch buffet). I have had personal experience at the Wyndham (which has two great restaurants), which was excellent, but not as visually appealling as the other two newer ones.
Not being one for thrill rides, I don't go for Universal, but for an adult experience, love the countries of Epcot for strolling, shopping, dining. Going there would also get you into the front of Epcot for Spaceship Earth, Test Track, and Body Wars (Disney automation, tame thrill, and simulator rides, so you'd get a sample of all three styles). Have fun!
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so far for the great suggestions. Don't know if this is helpful knowledge or not, but we are staying @ the Hotel Royal Plaza & I do happen to enjoy the amusement rides I have heard that Universal is fun and not quite as crowded as Disney.?.? Hoping that it isn't too bad in September as kids are back in school.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you enjoy amusement rides, I would suggest you go to Universal's Islands of Adventure. Some of the best attractions around are there. The theming of the park is wonderful and the rides are great fun--yes, even for adults. There are also some wonderful restaurants. Right in Islands of Adventure is Mythos restaurant. Not at all what you would expect to find in a theme park. FANTASTIC food and atmosphere.Also, Emeril has a restaurant right at City Walk (which is right outside the two Univsersal parks) and he also has a great restaurant at the Royal Pacific Resort (one of Universal's on-site hotels). There are LOADS of restaurants in City Walk.
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 08:31 AM

We do not have children...we visit Orlando many times per year - we love it

For a romantic place to stay - and quite during September, I highly recommend the Portofino Bay Hotel at Universal (if you dedide to change your reservation). There are many great restaurants on site Emerils, Tchop Thop, The Palm (unbelieveable steaks for the hubby - and whole maine lobsters , which they remove from the shell tableside for you) to name a few. The rooms are large and luxurious. There are 2 different pools - a slide pool and a villa pool (you can also rent a cabanna at the villa pool, and have a massage there too!), a huge spa etc.. There are some great deals at Universal, as I recommend going to the 2 parks Studios and Islands as they both have great attractions you would not want to miss espically the new Mummy ride in the Studios. I think they have a special if you book 4 nights, you get free park tickets (not sure but visit universalorlando.com for info). When you stay on site at Universal you get Front of the Line access - so no waiting in line-go right to the front. The rides are the best, and the parks are not as large and spread out as WDW, so you have plenty of time to go on some great rides, enjoy the hotel and fine dining. They also have a shuttle to WDW and Sea world, if you wish.

There is also the Ritz Carlton Orlando, Grand Lakes which might interest you as well..go to ritzcarlton.com and check it out.

September is not a bad time to go, we are going in 3 weeks. The days are hot and humid and you generally have a afternoon thunderstorm (3 or 4 o'clock) which passes quickly. Typical Florida weather

Hope this helps and Enjoy your trip
Old Jul 24th, 2004, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For info on restaurants and attractions go to www.disboards.com There's a lot of info on Disney and Universal and dining in the area.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again to all for the suggestions. I will definitely check out the options. As for where we are staying, it is not optional since it is free & paid for through my husbands union (can't argue with free
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:02 AM

I stayed a the JW Marriott which is next to the Ritz Grande Lakes last Thanksgiving. We booked a day at the spa there. It was exceptionally nice, much better than the Ritz spa in Naples but it was also quite expensive. My husband and I each had massages, a body treatment and facial, bought a few of the recommended products and our bill for the day was over $1700! The quality price ratio there is pretty low. I have heard good things about the Gaylord spa and heard the spa at Portofino was not very good at all.

You could try spafinders for a day spa in Orlando that might be what you are looking for. LMF
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 05:16 AM

OMG, Lil! I'll stick with the Wyndham! Actually, I think the Wyndham spa is near your Royal Plaza Hotel anyway, Linaatoz. The spa at the Gaylord is a Canyon Ranch, so it should be great, but I'd check the prices ahead.

Also, near Disney Village and the Hotel Plaza where Wyndham, and I think Royal Plaza are located, is the Grosvenor Hotel which houses the Murder Watch Mystery Theatre every Sat night. Live, high quality, musical/comdedy show, generous and delicious buffet, and much better price than Disney dinner theatre - and no "characters!" Just some "food for thought."

As for the hotel, I qote my favorite sister-in-law in her best NY accent:
"If it's free... it's for me!"

Have a great trip!

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 10:55 AM

Since you like amusment park rides, I wouldn't miss Disney's MGM Studios. Especially fun if you enjoy the movies/Hollywood. Great Movie Ride is my favorite.

Have a great trip. You have a lot of good suggestions.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:08 AM

My suggestion for a restaurant would be Shula's Steakhouse. It is either at the Swan or the Dolphin, in Disney. The food is wonderful- and while it seemed expensive, we were so pleasantly surprised when we got our bill. The servise was amazing too!
I would recommend this whole-heartedly!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 06:32 PM

lina, shula's is great i should have told you. glad to see you are using this site. andyg
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:24 PM

The Rosen has a great Italian restaurant.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Shula's sounds familiar. Seems like someone has suggested this before as being a place to go.