Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

places to eat and stay at amarillo, texas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2002, 12:52 AM
traveller

Need to spend a night in amarillo texas next month, any suggestions for good food and a nice hotel? thanks

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:34 AM
hope

The Amarillo Convention and Visitor Council could be of assistance. They can even provide you with a visitor guide. You can reach them by calling (800) 692-1338 or going to their website [email protected]

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:35 PM
zzz

The Big Texan Steak house is well known. I think they're the ones who originated the "If you can 72 ounces of steak in X amount of minutes, then you get it for free."

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Connie

Take a drive down to Palo Duro State Park (a possible future national park). They do a great outdoor play.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:24 AM
travellyn

I agree with Connie; if you have a chance, Palo Duro is a really interesting place. I camped there 19 years ago with my husband. We got there very late at night after driving 14 hours or so, and couldn't believe there was a canyon nearby in such flat country. Then the road just started going down and down. We set up camp in the dark, and only when we woke up did we see that we were in a place that looked like a slightly smaller version of the Grand Canyon.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:25 AM
Kellie

I know you've already gone on your trip to Amarillo, but for future reference to those cruising the website I want to suggest some places not found on I-40.
Palo Duro is a great place to go and see. Although it is best experienced by a day of hiking or horse back riding.
Some of the best places to eat are Hoffbrau for steaks and Macaroni Joe's for Italian.
Exploring downtown for shopping and historic sights. Also 6th Street is a great place for antique shopping. If you are ever in town for Labor Day, the town has a huge event out at the medical center park with fireworks, music by the Symphony, and food.
Amarillo has a great cultural center as well. The Amarillo symphony, the Lone Star ballet, the Little Theatre all provide a chance the enjoy the arts. The play Texas is performed in the summer in Palo Duro canyon. Also visit the Panhandle Plains Historical museum in Canyon, a 20 minute drive from Amarillo.