Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

International Drivers License for USA - new laws?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was informed by my travel agent yesterday that new US laws require (or shortly will require) all non US drivers to have an International Drivers License. Can anyone confirm this? I'm going to the US in October and the agent thinks this new law will be in by then. Usually, this sort of change wouuld make headline news in our UK travel sections of the media and I haven't seen anything about it. Thanks all.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 05:33 AM
J62

Driving laws are regulated by each of the 50 states so there is no single law covering the whole US. You tagged this Florida, so the laws of that state would be the ones to check.

I'd be very surprised if a drivers license from the UK required translation, which is all the int'l drivers permit does. But then again the US is not known to be visitor friendly, eg US immigration procedures, so one can never be sure.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 05:50 AM

Your TA is daft. First of all, as J62 points out, there is no single law covering all 50 states. Each state sets its own rules on driving.

Second, and don't take this as official, I believe Florida has dropped the rule about needing an IDP. I assume you're going to rent a car, so your best bet would be to contact the rental agency to find out what they require, since they may have separate rules on what documents you must produce to get the vehicle.

Third, getting an IDP is a simple and inexpensive process (in the US anyway) so I don't understand what the big deal is.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 09:00 AM

Mary Jo, this is a link to look it up, the bill was repealed and is a non issue.

Welcome to Florida!

http://www.flgov.com/2013/04/02/gove...national-days/
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 09:14 AM

I don't know the current laws, but be aware that what a rental agency requires has little or nothing to do with whether or not an IDP is required. For years people have mentioned in Europe a car rental agency didn't require an IDP, but the laws of the individual country do! It's not a question of whether you need one to rent a car, but rather if you get stopped by a police are you driving illegally?
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all replies.

I have been coming to Florida sometimes x 2 per year since 1980 and have driven on my UK license. However, as Vincenzo says, I can get an international license cheaply here and better be safe than sorry.

Many thanks again.
MaryJo
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 12:26 PM

Oh, it IS Florida!

Read the link posted by MollyinFl. It is definitely NOT necessary for you to have one, and frankly a waste of time since your license is already in English anyway, right?