Place to Stay in Stowe in Feb.

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 09:19 AM
BKD
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Place to Stay in Stowe in Feb.

We'll be taking the family with two kids, 12 and 14, to Stowe in Feb. Having never been, where would be a good place to stay? We want to be close to outdoor winter activities but close enough to town. A place with a one bedroom suite, clean, not dowdy (old is ok), and higher end is ideal. Any thoughts? Resorts, inns???
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 12:28 PM
BKD
Original Poster

Haven't gotten a response from anyone. Kind of narrowed it down between the Stoweflake and the Green Mountain Inn but would like some input if anyone has recommendations. Thanks.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Several years ago we stayed at the Golden Eagle Resort in Stowe. It was perfect for our family (2 children also) and we would definitely stay there again. Do a search on this property as there are several posts about it. That way you can see if it is what you are looking for. Enjoy Stowe, it is beautiful!
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 02:42 PM

We stayed at Green Mountain Inn at Stowe and enjoyed it a lot. We got a good deal from Expedia, but got 2 double beds, tried asking for a King instead but it was completely booked. So book in advance and confirm it. Its a little away from the skiiing area, and doesnt have much of a view. BUt they are excellent and have very well maintained rooms and nice toiletries! Also, you have to try eating pancakes at this place called Dutch Pancake factory, they are good!
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 02:44 PM

Have you looked into the Trapp Family Lodge and/or Topnotch?
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 03:51 AM

We liked the Golden Eagle, too. It's a little plain but sits back from the road. Since our visit was in Sept and I don't ski, I didn't pay any attention to the location of cross country ski trails and outdoor activities that could be done right on the premises. We were in a separate building next to a pretty pond. It's close to the popular pizza place and not far from downtown. You can choose a mini kitchen rather than a jacuzzi. Our room was huge with a gas fireplace and a little sitting alcove as well as a balcony overlooking the pond. It was one of the best rooms we've ever had. I don't recall if they have suites but if they do, it would be perfect for your family.
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 04:25 AM

I agree with Pauline above. Kids... Stowe... high end... you can't go wrong with Trapp Family. The price includes breakfast and dinner, and the food is fantastic. On site cross country, sledding, skating, sleigh rides, and indoor pool. Evening entertainment. You do need a car for the town and the downhill, but it is all very close.
The "new section" is all mini-suites and very nice. I like the older "aparment" style two-bedroom suites at the far end of the resort (actually the end you approach first when coming up the drive). Much roomier with giant bathroom and full living room.

Have fun!