Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Place to Stay in Portland, Maine (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/place-to-stay-in-portland-maine-322748/)

bermaxm Jun 1st, 2003 08:52 AM

Place to Stay in Portland, Maine

Hello,
Excited about another trip to Maine in July. Planning on spending the weekend in Portland as we love to explore and especially eat in good restaurants!

The idea of a large hotel is really a turn off... Looking for a smaller hotel or B&B with the plus of not moving our car while exploring downtown.

Any suggestions? What about some "really good food"..

Thank you for your input!

FlyFish Jun 1st, 2003 10:53 AM

The Portland Regency is the place to stay - considerably larger than a B&B, but doesn't qualify as a large hotel either. It's a tastefully converted red brick Armory located right in the middle of Portland's Old Port with eclectic rooms and antique-ish furnishings.

Fore Street is the hands-down best restaurant in the area and is probably the only one in Portland that could hold its own with the best in the big restaurant cities.

spacea Jun 1st, 2003 11:54 AM

We have made reservations for July at the Percy House B&B. It is quite expensive.(about $180) a night. But figure we will never be up there again. It looks great from pictures and is in the historic area

eastcoaster Jun 1st, 2003 12:03 PM

You may consider staying at the Danforth...www.danforthmaine.com
On the advice of friends, we're staying at this property, a small inn/hotel later this summer.

PamSF Jun 1st, 2003 12:20 PM

We stayed at the Pomengranate Inn and liked it alot. We have also stayed at the Inn on Carlton. This is a lovely place as well. I think the Pomengranate is more unusual. Fore Street or SStreet & Company are both good places to eat.

charli Jun 1st, 2003 06:04 PM

The Portland Harbor Hotel has the best beds I have ever slept in!

galetta Aug 7th, 2003 05:55 PM

Have anyone stayed at the Inn on Saint John on Congress St? Is it centrally located? How far is it from Old Port? I found a room for $85/night for October. The Regency is quoted at $212.

whistler162 Aug 7th, 2003 07:38 PM

Just returned, 2 weeks ago, from a quick 1 day visit to Portland. I stayed at the Inn at St. John. Nice enough place but NOT in anyway centrally located to the Old Port. It has to be 1 mile plus from the Inn to the area around the Old Port. The bus line runs right by the Inn but stops early in the evening.

Morgana Aug 8th, 2003 03:02 AM

Hi
As an English family who have just returned from a holiday in Maine, please can I recommend Becky's Diner in Portland Old Port. I was so pleased to find a real, old fashioned American diner, always full, opens at 4am for the local fishermen and cooks the sort of food we were longing for after 2 weeks of more upmarket restaurants! But then again, maybe this isn't what you are after? Street and Co in Old Port is very good. Have a look at a shop called Mexicali Blues - great jewellery, and Kool Jewels for the same.

Eva Aug 8th, 2003 05:19 AM

The Inn on St. John is really not a desirable location. Nothing scary but there are so many better located places. If the Eastland has gotten their act together it is a great location. They were going through some ownership changes and were really in need of help when we were there a couple of years ago. The other recommendations on this thread are all goo too.

galetta Aug 8th, 2003 09:56 AM

How about Holiday Inn Portland by the Bay?

BuzzyJ Aug 8th, 2003 10:00 AM

The Regency in The Old Port really is your best bet. Best food is Street & Co., and Fore Street--but there are many others too. It's a great little city, and from the Regency you can walk to just about everything.

whistler162 Aug 8th, 2003 01:17 PM

Also try DiMillio's, I had lunch there with two friends and the luncheon menu was quite good and reasonably priced.

http://www.dimillos.com/