Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Place to stay in Islamorada? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/place-to-stay-in-islamorada-283966/)

jfogarty Jan 31st, 2003 02:44 PM

Place to stay in Islamorada?

I've done soooo much research...I'm so relieved to discover these boards. My husband and I are from Wisconsin and will be in the keys in mid-June. I've narrowed down our accommodations to the "Star of the Sea" of Islamorada. Does anyone know anything about it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

TrishTravels Feb 6th, 2003 07:56 PM

I've stayed next to it. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I would imagine there are kids there.<BR>For a nice place to stay, I'd go to the Marriott up the street on the gulf side. Looks like a great pool and right on your own beach.<BR>I've stayed at the resort with the famous Tiki Bar on the ocean side just north of the causeway, but it's not very deluxe anymore. Kind of rundown and in need of remodeling.<BR>There was the neatest looking condos or small resort immediately North of that all white and jutting out into the ocean. We all thought they looked great and yet still walking distance to the TIKI bar which does have great entertainment on the weekends. <BR>I think our &quot;tiki&quot; place was maybe Holiday Isle or something like that. Good luck. Sorry I couldn't be more specific

TrishTravels Feb 6th, 2003 07:59 PM

You know, come to think of it. I may have just given you places in Key Largo instead of Islemorada. I always get the 2 mixed up. <BR>Too many margaritas, I guess.<BR>

mojitogirl Feb 12th, 2003 04:18 PM

I just returned from a trip to Islamorada/Key West. I do not know anything about the property you mention, but I highly recommend the Hampton Inn in Islamorada at MM 80. The rooms are typical Hampton Inn (dependably clean and acceptable), but the property is a notch above what you expect with an oceanfront pool plus restaurant/tiki bar.<BR><BR>The famous tiki bar mentioned by TrishTravels is Holiday Isle, around MM 84. We stopped there for a cocktail, I was surprised to find most of the crowd was older than me (I am 35). the rooms definitely look rundown, but the beach/bar area was fun.<BR><BR>The other property mentioned by TrishTravels might be Pelican Cove.<BR><BR>Some good restaurants in Islamorada are Loralei (casual seafood bayside, live music at sunset), Pierre's (gourmet, and the downstairs bar is great: island elegant), Manny and Isa's (very casual, fantastic key lime pie), and Uncle's (seafood).

GoTravel Feb 13th, 2003 07:14 AM

Trish, the Marriott is in Key Largo.<BR><BR>Islamorada is great! Some nice places to stay are The Hampton Inn, Pines and Palms, Morada Bay, and Cheeca Lodge. The Star of the Sea is in bad need of renovations.

SaraLou Feb 13th, 2003 08:54 AM

My fiance has been to Cheeca Lodge and The Moorings on business - both in the last few weeks. He said they are both very nice but a bit expensive even for the upscale accomodations. I've seen a lot about the Hampton Inn on here - which for the typical Hampton Inn price range would seem like a better deal to me. Just based hearsay tho...

GoTravel Feb 13th, 2003 09:36 AM

Sorry, I meant to write The Moorings not Morada Bay. Morada Bay is a restaurant.

amyd Feb 16th, 2003 09:47 AM

hi there!<BR>i have been going to cheeca lodge since i was a little girl. my husband and i are returning this may. i highly recommend it if you like a relaxed atmosphere and smaller property. also, there is a grocery store across route 1 from cheeca where you can pick up goodies or lunch if you are on a budget. it will seem expensive if you look at rack rates, but expedia.com has some great prices that are comparable with other hotels in the area. good luck!