Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   place to stay in DC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/place-to-stay-in-dc-463221/)

bjigles Jul 28th, 2004 06:22 PM

place to stay in DC

Hello all, I am heading to DC at the end of september and am searching for an inexpensive place to stay that is close to all the touristy stuff, I would love to be able to walk to monuments, but I am cool with the metro, any recomendations?

E Jul 28th, 2004 07:58 PM

Don't mean to be difficult, but what do you mean by "inexpensive"? Knowing your budget for the hotel would really help.

bjigles Jul 28th, 2004 09:02 PM

It is my first time out of the box - let me be more specific: looking for nightly rate under $100, possibly a bed and breakfast, the more unique the better

tracys2cents Jul 28th, 2004 09:10 PM

Not a B&B or unique, but the Holiday Inns sometimes have great weekend rates via weekendwebsaver.com
The discounts don't usually pop up til about 2 wks before travel time.

Also check out
www.inndc.com - great location!

E Jul 29th, 2004 08:25 AM

Check out the Kalorama Guest House--you should be able to Google it. They have rooms both with private and shared bath in a nice, leafy neighborhood. The only drawback is that it's a bit of a hike to the (Dupont or Woodley Park) Metro, although a pretty hike. I'm sure it's in your price range.

I would also suggest you look into Jury's Hotel in Dupont Circle--I have found $99 rates there before, and it's a nice hotel in a great location. The Radisson Barcelo, a favorite among Fodorites, also sometimes offers $99 rates, but keep in mind that DC's hotel tax will push both of these out of your range.

Lastly, I think it will be impossible to meet your price range and B&B preference within walking distance of the monuments--Metro will be your best bet. And that's actually great, because the area around the monuments--the Mall--is pretty dead after hours.

(Have you considered Priceline?)

Good luck!

dananddar Jul 29th, 2004 09:06 AM

I would recommend looking for a place in the DuPont Circle area (try to stay somewhere on the south side of the circle if possible - between P and M Streets). DuPont is a fun, lively neighborhood with lots of restaurant and shopping options, and is not too far a walk to monuments (e.g., White House is a 20-minute walk from DuPont). From DuPont, you could also easily walk to other fun neighborhoods including Georgetown (15-20 minutes), Woodley Park (30 minutes) and Adams Morgan (20 minutes).

bardo Jul 29th, 2004 09:19 AM

Good luck to you - the average room rate in DC is $250. One Dupont area B&B that fits your budget is the Tabard Inn:

http://www.tabardinn.com/

Look throughout the website. Each of the 40 rooms is priced differently. Also, unlike most hotels, prices don't change based on the dates.

clarkgriswold Jul 29th, 2004 10:11 AM

Average room rate on most weekends is half that.

clarkgriswold Jul 29th, 2004 10:22 AM

Tracy, InnDc is a very nice hotel, but a very LONG walk to the metro and most attractions. For good walkers only!

Travelermebe Jul 29th, 2004 11:22 AM

A lot of people like to stay in the Rosslyn area. While not within walking distance, it has a metro stop that will take you where you want to go. There are a whole range of hotels, including everything from a Hyatt, Marriott, Holiday Inn, to a Best Western. You can usually find some good rates online. Rosslyn is located just accross the river (walking distance) from Georgetown, which is a fun place to go. Have a great trip.

glover Jul 29th, 2004 12:11 PM

You might also look at the Morrison-Clark Inn at 10th and Massachusetts. It's a nice rehab of an elegant old building - more like an Inn/B&B than hotel.

If you're a real walker, you could walk to Mall from here (it would be about 8 plus long blocks to the Natural History Museum, for example). I've seen them offer specials at $99/nite

Anonymous Jul 29th, 2004 03:24 PM

For plenty of DC 3* and 4* hotels for $60-$75, try Priceline.

myst Jul 31st, 2004 09:21 PM

I stayed at the JW Marriot a 4* (or to some a 3*) hotel walking distance to the Mall over the memorial day weekend for $68 a night. Priceline

Underhill Aug 1st, 2004 07:51 AM

Try this web site: www.capitalreservations.com

You can get good rates there, especially for week-ends.