Pittsburgh or Cleveland - family attractions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! In late July we are going to Virginia for a wedding then planning to go to Virginia Beach for a few days. On the way home to the Detroit area, we would like to break up the drive by stopping somewhere for a few nights, possibly Pittsburgh or Cleveland. We don't want to take much of a detour, as our children are 3 and 1 so a few extra hours in the car can be tough.

Any input on (young) family attractions in either Pittsburgh or Cleveland? Near Pittsburgh, I saw info about Idlewild amusement park and know they also have a zoo/aquarium. I haven't looked at much Cleveland info yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if there is a different attraction on our route that I am overlooking please let me know.

Thanks!

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 12:52 PM

Kennywood Amusement park, just outside of Pgh, is one of the nations's best small parks. (Closer to Pgh than Idlewild).

It has very pretty grounds with lots of trees and shade, and is a top national destination for roller coaster enthusiasts (although probably not for toddlers).
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 01:02 PM

There is a massive amusement park outside of Cleveland on the way to Kellys Island
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 03:23 PM

Check out previous posts about Cedar Point, a wonderful amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio about 45 minutes from Cleveland. Also Check out Kelly's Island(Kelley's Island?) an island in Lake Erie off the coast of Sandusky.My kids loved taking the Jet Express boat out to the island, then exploring the island on a golf cart.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 03:56 PM

I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and just got back from 3 perfect days in Pittsburgh, despite awful weather! It's a great town for preschoolers & young toddlers. We took a ride on the Duquense Incline (http://incline.pghfree.net/) up and down, which takes oh, like five minutes during which our three year old nearly died of excitement.

We also took them to the Children's Museum (http://www.pittsburghkids.org/) which I can't recommend highly enough. There's a big art studio and about 10 exhibits in which you can park and let your kids run amok. The Carnegie Science Museum is terrific, too, with the entire top floor devoted to activities for young toddlers and preschoolers (http://www.carnegiesciencecenter.org).

The Natural History Museum (http://www.carnegiemnh.org/) has a great collection of dinosaur bones, most of which, unfortunately, are being cleaned until fall of 2007. Nevertheless, it's attached to the Art Museum, and there's plenty there to do with kids. Nearby, in Oakland, is Shenley Park and the Phipps Conservatory where you kids can run until they fall over with exhaustion.

Good luck! Have a good trip.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 04:23 PM

If you are breaking up the drive back to Detroit, Pittsburgh is the better bet. From Cleveland you are only about 3 hours from Detroit. Pittsburgh is about 3 hours from Cleveland, so about 6 hours from Detroit.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 05:51 PM

In Pittsburgh, there was an aviary that was interesting. They do interactive shows with the birds. Also, the zoo is very nice.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 01:18 PM

I would also endorse the Pittsburgh zoo. Especially in July. My daughter loved it.