Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Pittsburgh - Looking for suggestions in and around (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/pittsburgh-looking-for-suggestions-in-and-around-1667978/)

nitishraj Jun 6th, 2019 09:23 PM

Pittsburgh - Looking for suggestions in and around

Dear Friends,

Me and my wife are visiting Pittsburgh in 3rd Week of December to attend a conference for 4 days. We plan to spend Christmas and New Year in America and then leave back. Total stay including our conference is 2 weeks.

This is our first visit to America and we are looking forward to our visit.

Am looking for suggestions what we can do in Pittsburgh and more importantly which all places we can visit in and around. For eg. spend 3 days in New York, Washington each etc...or any other cities.

The reason im writing this post so early is that based on suggestions, we shall book our tickets accordingly. For eg. If Washington is on our list, then we will arrive in Washington first and then proceed to Pittsburgh.

We both love culture, history, Shopping, visiting local markets, Trying local cuisine etc...

Thanks and Regards,
Nitish

kja Jun 7th, 2019 05:06 PM

IMO, you could easily spend your 2 weeks in DC, Pittsburgh, and NYC -- say 4 or 5 nights for DC (including a bit of time to recover from jet lag), then Pittsburgh (you might include a day or two for that city, in addition to your conference time), then the rest in NYC. I suppose you could add Philadelphia, but only if you choose to see only a very limited set of the highlights of each location.

Enjoy!

gobomobo Jul 7th, 2019 05:33 AM

Hello, I live in Pittsburgh and have a few suggestions on places to visit based on your interests. In the Oakland area of Pittsburgh (close to downtown, the area of Univ of Pittsburgh) is Phipps Conservatory, Carnegie Museum of art and Cathedral of Learning. These are all very interesting and have beautiful architecture. About ten minutes farther is the Frick Pittsburgh. Henry Clay Frick and Andrew Carnegie were legendary leaders of the steel industry that Pittsburgh is famous for. You can tour the Frick mansion and learn more about this time period in Pittsburgh. You can go to Point State Park where our three rivers meet and there tour the Fort Pitt Blockhouse. I believe this is the only remaining structure built by the British before the Revolutionary War. Welcome to Pittsburgh, it is a great city.

nitishraj Oct 10th, 2019 11:55 PM

Dear All,

I thank you for the suggestions. We have now finalised our trip and we are reaching Pittsburgh on Day 1 and Leaving Pittsburgh on Day 13. We have some relatives there so we will be based at their place.

During these 12 days, we were thinking of seeing around Pittsburgh for 4 days and balance days 7 days see around NY and Washington DC.

3 Days in Washington and 3 Days in NY and 1 Day in Central Valley near NY only for shopping.

Hope its doable... :)

We both love culture, history, Shopping, visiting local markets, Trying local cuisine etc...Any suggestions for 'Must visit places/ restaurants would be highly appreciated....Thanks again...

kja Oct 11th, 2019 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by nitishraj (Post 16998958)
3 Days in Washington and 3 Days in NY and 1 Day in Central Valley near NY only for shopping.

Here's my recommendation:
Use a calendar or spreadsheet to mark your transportation times, including a couple of hours on either side for getting to / from your lodging, checking in / out, packing / unpacking, and getting lost / oriented. Figure out what you would want to see in each place, check opening hours, and mark them on your calendar, too. Think about whether you want just a taste of each location, even if you have to skip a LOT in each place; or rather you would prefer to see a couple of places in greater depth, even if you have to skip one possible destination. Only you can decide whether your alloation of times will work for YOUR interests.