Pittsburgh Hotel May 9-15

Feb 6th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Pittsburgh Hotel May 9-15

We will be in Pittsburgh for a convention at the Convention Center. Two adults, no children. I am looking for a hotel that is close to a T line stop. The hotel does not have to be downtown. I am recovering from an injury and may still have mobility issues then.

I would like to go to the Carnegie Museums, Museum of Learning, Andy Warhol Museum and the Mattress Factory. How difficult will this be using public transit, or should I rent a car?

Thank you for your help.
Feb 6th, 2011, 09:07 AM

Pittsburgh is the proud owner of the tiniest T line in the world. It just goes from downtown to Station Square, and then out to the suburbs -- not near where you want to go.

The bus system is pretty good, with some dedicated express roads (busses only). But if you can't walk 2 or 3 blocks I'm thinking a car (or take a cab) is the best bet. (Its the Cathedral of Learning, by the way.)
Feb 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM

You might consider the Station Square Sheraton. Lots of restaurants there, and it's right next to the T station to go into downtown Pittsburgh.
The Warhol and Mattress Factory are on the North Side, and the other places you mention are in Oakland.
Either place can be reached by bus from downtown.
Feb 14th, 2011, 05:16 AM

I just learned there is a Hampton Inn in the Strip District, which is very near the Convention Center.

Also check out the Red Double Decker Bus. You can pick it up at the Heinz Museum, near the Convention Center and nearer that Hampton Inn, and for $20 you can have an all day hop on/hop off tour which would take you to all Southside and Northside (NorthShore) sites, as well as several stops in Downtown/Strip District.
http://www.pghtours.com/Home_Page.html
Feb 14th, 2011, 05:21 AM

Check the university schedules so you can avoid Oakland area whenever they are having commencement! That day would be a nightmare with traffic, congestion.
Choose another day for your visits to the museums and Cathedral of Learning Nationality Rooms.
Consider also walking across the lawn from Cathedral to Heinz Chapel, very interesting and beautiful place.
And when in Oakland, the Phipps Conservatory is nearby--wonderful flower displays and some Chihuly glass...

On your Red Double Decker Tour day, (or whenever you visit the Northside) don't forget the National Aviary.
Have fun, and do let us know where you visited and how you enjoyed Pittsburgh.
Feb 14th, 2011, 05:24 AM

Also,
no need to rent a car unless you are going way out of town for something like Fallingwater...

Remember that while taxis can be had easily from your hotel, you will have to call for return from most places. It's one of those cities where you don't hail a cab from any old place along the streets. It can be done, but don't count on it!

You also might check out which hotel your convention has chosen as their main place to stay, because they'd most likely have shuttle service for you to the Convention Center.
Feb 14th, 2011, 05:27 AM

And since it's MAY, with all kinds of weather possibilities, if you have good weather, you might enjoy the Ducky Tour from Station Square (on the Southside, just across the bridge from downtown, taxis available on either end, lots of dining options, some shopping).
And there's an incline station right there as well. Takes you to the observation platform for those fantastic city views.
Feb 14th, 2011, 06:02 AM

We stayed at the Pittsburgh Renaissance hotel on 6th St. a few years ago. We got a great corporate rate. IIRC, the hotel is a converted apartment building from the 20's or 30's, very charming from a historic perspective. There were small cafes nearby for breakfast and the food in the hotel was good. We stayed for 4 nights here and walked to Pirates stadium for a game. The only drawback was the parking expense, as we needed a car and it was not cheap. It is a Marriott hotel, so I am assuming there is concierge service to assist you with transportation details. I was there for business meetings and my mom took the kids to museums, shopping, Kennywood amusement park, sightseeing. It is a few blocks from the Convention Center.
Mar 20th, 2011, 01:19 PM

Kennywood Park won't be open except on weekends until Memorial Day.
Mar 29th, 2011, 05:34 PM

Springhill Suites on the North Shore has an intown shuttle service van for its guests. Might be worth checking out...