Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Pittsburgh experts--dining near Allegheny General (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/pittsburgh-experts-dining-near-allegheny-general-216020/)

Ann May 7th, 2002 07:48 AM

Pittsburgh experts--dining near Allegheny General

I know it's not a great area of town, but my father's been there for several weeks now, and I'd love to take my mother to dinner somewhere nice, but not too far from the hospital. Also, somewhat casual would be good, too, since you don't usually dress up to spend the day in the hospital.<BR><BR>Price doesn't matter. The only cuisine restrictions are no Japanese or Mexican.

help May 7th, 2002 08:05 AM

it`s okay around the area as long as it`s not late at night..try Max`s Allegheny Tavern(German food-and excellant-has a seperate dining room from the bar-also on Sunday they have a brunch) on the corner of Suisman and Middle...it`s walkable..go down James St. to Middle(1 or 2 blocks) and walk to you come to Suisman..or the James St. Cafe right down James St.(right out of the parking garage-it`s on James St.)Max`s is the closet...

help May 7th, 2002 08:17 AM

there is also Jerry`s 1888...it`s at 520 East Ohio St.--412-321-3718...it`s walkable too..think about 4 blocks...call and make sure...this places are all casual...my favorite is Max`s

top May 7th, 2002 08:51 AM

<BR>topper/////.....

help May 7th, 2002 09:03 AM

Max`s phone is 412-231-1899(it may be James St and Suisman as crossroad)...anyway it`s on the corner orf Middle and Suisman..and james St. is412-323-2222 at the corner of Jame St and Foreland...it is a lttle more $$ and has creole and southern like food...

Ann May 7th, 2002 10:45 AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I really appreciate it.

help May 7th, 2002 11:40 AM

do you(all) live around this area or just here for the hospital visit?...don`t trying to be nosy...you don`t have to answer...just thought you might need some more info...my daughter works there....AGH...

Ann May 8th, 2002 07:51 AM

Just there for the hospital visit. Any info on the area would be greatly appreciated. I understand that the Hampton Inn is the closest hotel. Is that correct? We tried staying at the Visitor's Center once--it was a dump, and we got to pay $90 for the priviledge of staying in that dump.

Karen May 8th, 2002 10:02 AM

Ann,<BR><BR>Another lodging option close to Allegheny General is The Priory-A City Inn. It's a 3-minute drive from the hospital and is a European style lovely inn with free cont. breakfast, a garden, wine in the evening, free shuttle to downtown, etc. The last time we stayed there the posted rate was $119 and we got a AAA discount off that. Phone is 412-231-3338.<BR><BR>Karen

help May 8th, 2002 04:54 PM

ck out www.thepriory.com---there is no hotel on the North Side...North Hills,yes...but not by AGH...there are some downtown hotels(Hilton,etc)...but traffic is crazy now w/construction...I`d ck out the Priory.. and there is Station Square(Sheraton) too...if you have certain questions please post...sounds like your Dad might be there awhile...

Ann May 9th, 2002 12:47 PM

Thanks for all of the great advice, but I don't need it! My father's getting out of the hospital after several weeks.<BR><BR>But since he'll have to go back from time to time, we'll have to check out those restaurants.

help May 9th, 2002 01:28 PM

Ann,<BR> Great news..so glad to hear it..if we can help w/further info, let us know...