Pismo Beach area hotel

Search

Pismo Beach area hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pismo Beach area hotel

This family of 4 is going to spend 5 nights in this area and are considering the following hotels. Would appreciate input from anyone familar with the properties.

Cottage Inn by the Sea - $179 no ocean view - traditional room (2 queens)

Pismo Lighthouse Suites - $229 no ocean view - 2 bedroom suite with 2 baths.

At first glance the Pismo Lighthouse Suites seems like a better deal but its hard to know for sure based on their websites. Both get good to very good reviews from tripadvisor. Does either property have a better location or some other feature that gives it an advantage over the other?

Our first choice was the Dolphin Bay but its booked.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 08:55 AM

I stayed in the Cottage Inn a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. The room was quite comfortable - comfortable matress, nice linens, small seating area, etc. It was pretty stormy when I was there, so I really appreciated the gas fireplace in the room.

Lighthouse Suites is right next door, so the location is basically the same - on a bluff overlooking the ocean with a walking path in front of the hotels that takes you to some stairs to the beach.

The Cottage Inn looked to be a nicer property than the Lighthouse Suites - nicer gardens, more interesting buildings, etc. I don't know what the rooms are like at the Lighthouse Suites though, so I can't make a complete comparison.

I would definitely stay at the Cottage Inn next time I am in that area, but with a group of 4 people, I might choose the Lighthouse Suites just to get the extra rooms and bathrooms even if it wasn't quite as nice.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:11 AM

I've stayed at the Avila Beach Lighthouse Suites. The rooms were quite nice. We didn't test the sofa bed though.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your comments but now I have another concern. I just read in another post that Pismo Beach is grungy. The last thing I want on vacation is "grungy" - does anyone else agree with this comment?
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:01 PM

I personally like Pismo Beach primarily because it has a nice wide beach. It's not grungy to me although maybe not as upscale as some locations. I think my only question is about your spending 5 nights in this area. Are you just going to be hanging out at the beach or are you doing sightseeing in other areas? Pismo is a very small town so it doesn't take long to see everything. Of course you can drive into San Luis Obispo, go winetasting at the Edna Valley wineries. Take a day trip to Solvang.

Let us know what your plans are.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Our plans are to see the Central Coast - Heast Castle, Santa Barbara, do some light hiking, biking, swimming and maybe kayaking. Want to be on the water.

We are spending 3 nights in Anaheim and then will drive up to this area. DH doesn't want to spend entire vacation driving or hopping from hotel to hotel. I want to stay in a nice area that is central to everything that we want to see. Pismo seemed to be within an hours drive of most of what we wanted. Santa Barbara seemed too far south but Monterrey is too far north. Above all else we want a nice place to be. Can't afford the 4 Seasons but don't want a dumpy area either. Would love all suggestions.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:24 PM

I recommended Pismo Beach mainly as a base for other nearby activities.

It is true the beach town is small and not your typical southern CA beach. Mostly local surfers hang out there, but there are some sunbathers and beach combers. It can also be windy.

I grew up in the valley so it was our playground as was Avila Beach slightly to the north and slightly warmer, less windy. We were glad to get out of the valley heat!

To the south is Oceano Beach, a destination for quads and 4x4’s from all over. All that may give you an idea of the area.

From SB north, you lose the typical southern CA beaches. Cambria has a nice walking beach, can be windy, and can also be boring for teens, it depends. It may be better for parents though.

Are they more outdoorsy or more indoor play-on-the computer types? Can make a difference in what kids like.

The Cottage Inn, Lighthouse, The Cliffs Resort are all nearby each other and provide great ocean views.

The Cliffs Resort
http://www.cliffsresort.com/?src=ppc_google_brand

Spyglass Inn at Shell Beach is also nice.
http://www.spyglassinn.com/
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

The kids are more outdoorsy/athletic so based on what you told me before it seemed like a good choice. Now I'm having cold feet especially since we are planning to be there for 5 nights.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:37 PM

Again, I like Pismo and I agree with bear that the beach there is a little more like So. Cal beaches then others in the area.

It does seem like you will be doing quite a bit of driving, though. Pismo to Santa Barbara is about 1.5 hour drive. The rest is within an hour. It's a tough call. Personally I would rather spend a couple of days in Santa Barbara and then move a little further north for Hearst Castle etc. Santa Barbara has great biking along the waterfront and teens like walking along State Street.

I was going to then suggest staying the other days in Cambria. But it is a very small town and the beach is not as warm. But if you are going to be going to Hearst Castle, etc then you will be busy.

Don't really know about kayaking so maybe others will have advice about that.

Both Santa Barbara and Cambria may also be a more expensive as I am assuming you are coming during the summer. Maybe check out some hotels to get a price comparision. In Cambria you want to stay on Moonstone Beach. In Santa Barbara check out the Marina Beach Motel. It is fairly reasonable during the summer.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:45 PM

Ps ~ My recommendation on your earlier post was 2 nights in Santa Barbara and 2 nights in Pismo. The latter more for places like Montana de Oro, Moro Bay, and Hearst Castle.

I would not pass up staying in or nearby Santa Barbara. Nor would I try to make Pismo a 4 night base for southern excursions to SB area. That would be 1-1/2 to 2 hours away.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 12:58 PM

Pismo Beach has full range of resorts from inexpensive to luxury (as I am sure you found out when you priced Dolphin Resort). The central business district is typical of beach resort towns that have not been "yuppified" so that may be what your friend meant by grungy.

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all of you for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it and know that its hard to make recommendations based on the scant information that I have provided. You all have been very generous with your time and efforts.

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:02 PM

Like others, I really enjoy Pismo Beach and I think that one of the reasons, as mlgb pointed out, is that it hasn't been yuppified
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 02:45 PM

Who you callin’ a ‘yuppie’ Willis?

I learned to surf with long boards there in the 60’s. They still had clamming right on the beach, what Pismo was noted for.

Nobody had wetsuits in those days. I get a kick out of people saying you need a wetsuit to swim. You just dive in head-first, shiver yer timbers, go numb and enjoy!

We drive past Pismo quite often. Driving home on 227 back from SLO, to Hind street at Pismo and looking over the blue water is a sight to see!
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 03:02 PM

If you do end up in the area...

In SLO (San Luis Obispo) there is a very small deli that is a flash back in time. It's a bit of a step back into the 60's. If that doesn't appeal to anyone, skip it.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/high-street-...an-luis-obispo

It's a tiny rustic market turned to a deli in an older neighborhood. Lot of young people there.

It keeps the tourists out (not eye-appealing), is crowded but a unique experience.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 05:47 PM

Husband and I stayed at the SandCastle Inn, right on the beach. Complimentary breakfast (hot) very nice, staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was very spacious, great view, clean we will absolutely stay again. The beach was very clean and found buckets of sand dollars. We enjoyed every minute of our 4 days.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 06:23 PM

DH and I are in August going to CA Central Coast as well

We were lucky and got Dolphin Bay at a very good price for 4 nights and I poured over Tripadvisor and Fodors postings.

I finally booked 4 nights Embarcadaro Inn new "Family Suite" on Morro Bay as we wanted a change in scenery from Pismo.

One of the regulars here on Fodors posted Sea Gypsy as her "favorite on Pismo beach". I would have booked that if I had not gotten cx at Dolphin Bay
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 07:47 AM

Bear - I grew up in Santa Cruz and we all swam there without wet suits too
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 11:15 AM

Ah, I vaguely remember camping at Capitola Beach(?) in the 60's.

Been back recently. Grew into a very nice town.

I think the wood roller coaster in SC was a dime? Rode it over and over.

Nice drive that way.

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 12:42 PM

bear900 has done you a favor to suggest two nights in Pismo and two nights in Santa Barbara, if you are truly planning to "see" SB, even one night is necessary.

I am the one who referred to Pismo Beach as "grungy." I am referring to the town, not "the beach." The streets are not clean and there are few public restrooms. There is not much shopping in the downtown and not really a reason to go there... thus my recommendation NOT to stay there. The beach, while clean, is often windy and Avila is much more sheltered and suitable for a whole day excursion. Pismo is also frequently cold and foggy while Avila is sunny at the same time.

(If you're bringing your bike you can ride 227 from Pismo to SLO and see some beautiful hills and wineries... that might be an activity for you.)

Why not consider two nights in Santa Barbara and two nights in Cambria? There you'd have the elephant seals, decent hotel choices and a cute downtown for shopping!

I'm TRULY not trying to be a spoiler here but I just can't fathom why you'd want to stay in Pismo for four nights, unless you've been before and KNOW that's where you want to be.

Also, what time of year are you coming?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -