Search

Pirate Theme in FL

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pirate Theme in FL

I have three boys 3, 5 and 8 years old. They are crazy about pirates. I thought I heard about a pirate island off of FL.
Old May 26th, 2006, 07:58 PM

Not sure about an Island, but in Februrary, you've got Gasparilla Pirate Parade in Tampa. In the fall you've got Pirate Fair in Clearwater: Piratefair.com. Should you be in Orlando anytime you can try to dine with Pirates piratesdinneradventure.com and in Key West they have a Pirate Museum: piratesoul.com

Good luck finding the island -- X marks the spot!
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:08 PM

The Pirate Dinner Adventure in Orlando gets horrible reviews for a variety of reasons, but most of those reviews are from adults. Your kids may love it and be oblivious to the things that make adults hate it (bad food and service and the top two complaints I've read).
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:08 AM

perhaps you are thinking of Treasure Island which is in the Tampa St. Pete area.

Pirates were all over Florida at one time. Some interesting things in St. Augustine might entertain. They have lots of Ghost tours as well.

Pirates of the Caribbean at Disney is lame. LMF
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:27 AM

A 30 minute drive from St Augustine is one of my favorite free things and it is pirate-related. National Park Service offers a free ferry to Rattlesnake Island, home of Fort Matanzas National Park. There are costumed interpreters (check for schedule?) and stories about pirates.

At St Augustine's huge Castillo de San Marcos, another NPS property, we bought an "original" secret pirate treasure map. X marks the spot.
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:24 AM

What a very cool idea. I'm saving this for future reference.
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:08 AM

Legend has it that Jose Gaspar (Same person who inspired Tampa's Gasparilla Pirates Fest), settled on what is now Gasparilla Island, better known by the name of the little town there, Boca Grande, (pronounced "grand", not gran-day) and conducted forays from the island until ousted by the US. I think some of the keys make the same claim. Any semblance of its former days is now gone gone gone, but it's a beautiful little island, pirates or no, though I'm not sure it holds much for excitement for 3, 5, and 8 year olds other than its beautiful, relatively unpopulated beaches.
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Treasure Island has a legend too, about a pirate named John LeVeque, who buried some treasure in what is now an inlet called "John's Pass", in between Madeira Beach and Treasure Island. The theme has been used repeatedly here - heck on the way into town is a big painting of a pirate holding a welcome sign and a big treasure chest at his feet. (the chest used to contain sparkling jewels, but the History Revisionists have changed things - it now contains oranges! sheesh!).

Anyway, Treasure Island is very family-oriented, a perfect vacation place for a young family.

And I do see this tourist pirate ship cruising the waters:

http://www.thepirateshipatjohnspass.com/