Search

Pike's Market

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM
ita
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pike's Market

Is there a good place to eat at the Market? What are the specialities?
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM

There are a number of different eating options at Pike Place Market. Check out this website for a dining guide.

www.pikeplacemarket.org

My favorite place to eat in the Market is at Matt's.

www.mattsinthemarket.com
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 01:01 PM

Our favorite spot is the nearby Campagne Cafe: http://www.campagnerestaurant.com/cafe_splash.html A delightful French bistro with fantastic food.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM

Lots of great places. Le Panier is great to get a morning coffee and bite to eat and watch the vendors set up. Bacco's has excellent crab omelets for breakfast, and very good cappuccinos's as well. Too many great places to mention.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 03:13 PM

I enjoyed dinner at the Steehead Diner the other night. The Pink Door is reliably good, with a fun atmosphere and a wonderful patio. Eating from the stalls is fun during the day...check out Two Girls bakery and the Asian stall - don't know the name - nearby. It has great humbow.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Oops, that's Three Girls Bakery. Don't want to leave a girl out.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM

lennyba--LOL, I was wondering about that, but then questioned whether it was 2 or 3 girls, then you posted again We had great dinners at the Pink Door, Ettas, and Cafe Campagne on our last trip. Other great meals too, but those were the ones in/near the market.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't mean to be a poop or sound scolding, but for many Seattleites, calling it "Pike's" Market it like calling San Francisco "Frisco."

It's the Pike Place Market, or the Pike Market, or the Seattle Public Market, or just "the Market." Pike Place is a street, a branch off Pike Street. It's not even the same Pike (Zebulon) after which Pike's Peak got its name.

As for eating, the Market is all about eating. There's everything on offer from Bolivian (Copacabana) to Filipino, French to German, Mexican to Middle Eastern, Oysters to Humbows. You can start with stunning French brasserie food at Le Pichet (on First rather than Pike Place) for breakfast, then move on to Cafe Campagne or Maximilian for French lunch, then end at "big" Campagne for dinner, all without walking more than a couple hundred yards, and not breaking the bank, for some of the best French cooking this side of the Channel. Or walk around all day munching on great take-away fried chicken, Chinese pastries, piroshkies, fish and chips, some of the best produce and cheeses on the planet, even... as of late... a respectable bowl of chicken soup with matzo balls.

He who is tired of eating at the Pike Market is tired of eating...
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 05:49 AM

I like mms suggestions. I was going to suggest a cab to Salumi but realize you need a place to sit down. Three Stars to the Three Girls Bakery...but then what do you do with a loaf of bread? Do browse Sur La Table while you're there.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Three Girls Bakery also makes soup and sandwiches.

The Pike Place Market has a website where you can see all the shops and restaurants listed.

For an inexpensive lunch I like: Emmett Watson's Oyster Bar for fish & chips, La Panier for a bagette sandwich to go, anything from DeLaurenti's Italian grocery store at their take-out window, and Mishou's is also an excellent deli.

With a view of the water but not fancy: Athenian or Lowells are old-timey dinner style restaurants.

More high end: Maximilliens, Ettas Seafood, Cafe Campagne, or Campagne are all very good.

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:03 AM

& Pink Door is fun. Kell's pub. Matt's at the Market.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM
ita
Original Poster

Sorry, I will refer to it as Pike's Place Market from now on. Now to show my further ignorance-what is humbow?
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 08:06 PM

Drop the "s." It's Pike Place Market, not Pike's Place Market....which is what Gardyloo was trying to explain. No need to take offense to the correction - it's always good to know the correct name of places that you will visit.

A humbow is a steamed (or baked) pillowy delight filled with pork (or other meats).

If you want to do a lot of sampling (heavy on the sweets, though) you might enjoy a Savor Seattle tour of the Market. If you search here on "Savor Seattle," you'll find my detailed report of the tour I took about 2 months ago.

www.savorseattletours.com

Enjoy your trip.

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 09:47 AM

hum bow are traditionally part of a dim sum lunch. But you can get them to-go from a stand in the Market.

they're a baked or steamed dumpling, stuffed with a filling.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 04:42 PM

There are over 60 place in Pike Place Market to eat! My friends and I are blogging about them right now:

http://mouthfulsfood.com/forums//ind...howtopic=15057

You can read all about the good and the bad!