Pier 39 on Fisherman's Wharf

What are some great seafood restaurants
around Pier 39 on Fisherman's Wharf?

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Kay

Scomas with out a doubt---good quality and good food & comparable prices

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Bob

Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf are not the same thing. Scoma's is a cab ride or very long walk from Pier 39.

What area do you want?

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Bob

Are there any restaurants in SF that have all you can eat dungenous or snow crabs? I could'nt find an answer in my search.
Thank you for your help.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 03:56 PM
X Bellman

The last time I found a all you can eat crab buffet it was mostly "shells"...I don't recall fishermans wharf being that far from peir 39 and there are several good seafood restaurants at the wharf..Pompanos? or something like that was really good.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Sara

Pier 39 and Fishermans' Wharf are adjacent areas (seem to be the same to most tourists I think) and a very easy stroll between the two. No need for a cab.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 04:11 PM
xxx

Bob, you must take the cake as the laziest person in SF if you would actually take a cab from Fisherman's Wharf to Pier 39!

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Frank

Scoma's used to be good.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 06:53 PM
tjc

Three weeks ago we had a very nice meal at Nonna Roses at the wharf; menu has pasta and seafood; the service was also very good(thank you Brian!)Views of the harbour too.

nonnarose.com

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 06:57 PM
tjc

Meant to add that Nonna Roses is next to Alioto's (the oldest restaurant at Fisherman's wharf; family run place).

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:52 PM
becky

Please don't eat at Fisherman's Wharf. Generally speaking, the restaurants there are overpriced, overrun by tourists (no offense), and the food is mediocre. There are so many other fabulous seafood restaurants in SF...try Yabbie's Coastal Kitchen on Polk Street, just a few blocks up from Ghirardelli Square. Also, for "fine" seafood dining, try Aqua or Farallon. If you must eat on the Wharf, try McCormick and Kuleto's or Scoma's. Or just grab some crab and chowder from one of the outdoor vendors. Have fun!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:31 AM
jp

Scoma's is pretty popular; the food is a bit overpriced, but very good. It gets really crowded around the dinner hours. You can definitely walk from Pier 39 down the street to Scoma's.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Pam

Check out the Waterfront. You will be right at the Bay although a hoof from the wharf and Pier 39.I don't know about it recently but others who have eaten there have liked it. Scoma's is a SF institutiion. Dungeness crab is SF/local I don't think snow crab is so whatever you eat might be frozen before hand and there is really nothing quite like fresh dungeness crab in season. There are also lots of places around the city that sell crab in various ways at this time of year. I don't know what your style is but check out The Zuni(I think they have a website). They have crab and other shellfish of good quality.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 08:14 AM
pam

Almost forgot..Swan's Oyster Depot..not on the wharf ans you will be eating at a counter but you will be eating absolutely fresh and delicious dungeness crab. In the same neighborhood you can try crusteasan where you can get dengeness crab roasted with garlic. There is also I think Than Long(help me out SF folks) out in the avenues around 41st and Judah. Both these places will give you a taste of local "ethnic" cooking as well.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 10:10 AM
jacque

A long walk from Pier 39 to Fisherman's Warf (Scoma's)?!? That's funny! You probably walk further if you go up and back your local mall once.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Bob

Re the long walk comment. I live in the Bay Area. Go to SF infrequently as it is filled with tourists. And it is still not that close between the two as some of the elderly people you are talking to will find out. Plus "xxx"...use your own name sometime and show some guts.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 03:18 PM
ben

http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/graphics/maps/sf-downtown_full.gif

Can anyone look at the upper right area on this map and honestly say Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf are not very close together and that a taxi is needed? It's not like it's a hilly walk either, it's flat.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Christie

Frank is right. Scoma's is very overated.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:18 PM
jo

It's not on Fisherman's Wharf but down near the PacBell stadium is Delancey Street. Good food -great prices

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:59 AM
Paul

I too am following this thread as I will be traveling to the area next summer. I am looking for a place on the wharf that might sell seafood "Po-Boys," "Hogies," etc. You know, maybe a shrimp cocktail to go? Sounds as if Swan's Oyster Depot has the feel I am looking for, for a casual sight-seeing-walking lunch; yet it is not on the wharf. I have also put Scomas on my list as a posibility, though sounds more upscale/sit-down dining for what I would be looking for on that day. A VERY casual restaurant would fit the bill perfectly - any suggestions?

Happy Trails,
Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -