SOMA vs. Union Square Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using P-line.com and wary about adding SOMA hotels to my bid. Some of the hotels that have been coming up in the area are the Marriott, Argent, W San Francisco, and Hotel Palomar for the 4* range. How is the area that these hotels are in? I've heard that some of the SOMA neighborhood is still kind of seedy. How does SOMA compare to Union Square in regards to safety? We're not planning on being out late, so daytime safety in particular. Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

How about the Embarcadero area? I've heard that this area is close to transportation, and doesn't seem to have a large homeless population.
Old May 13th, 2003, 05:56 PM

Yes, Embarcadero is fine. However since it is in downtown, it tends to be desolate at night.
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:07 PM

Look at biddingfortravel.com to see the SF hotel list. The hotels you listed are all right around the Moscone Convention Center which is a fine area--night or day. All those hotels are one block from BART and MUNI. You can catch the historic "F" line to get to Fisherman's Wharf. You are also within walking distance to Yerba Buena (skating rink & museum), the Museum of Modern Art, and the Metreon (large theatre with an IMAX and some restaurants). If the hotels in SOMA on Priceline are the ones you listed I would not hesitate to add SOMA to your area of booking. The part of SOMA that is seedy you would never have any reason to go to now would you inadvertantly walk through it as it is the opposite direction of everything.
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:14 PM

The last time I was in SF I made the mistake of walking te SoMa area near the Marriot and Argent Hotels, and it seemed pretty grimy to me. I think Cavacationer has given you some good alternatives.
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:14 PM

ChicDad, one of the things you need to know about asking a question about SF on this board is there is a person or persons who says/say scathing things about downtown SF. Any f the 4* hotels you mentioned in your post would be fine. Both SOMA and Union Square are as safe as any other big US city at night, and probably safer than some. Just keep your wits about you.

That being said, I like Embarcadero East best because it's a little out of the main hustle and bustle. Read the links to some of the Embarcadero East hotels on BiddingforTravel.

Forget about staying outside the city and taking the ferry or bus in. It's an absolutely ludicrous idea. You'll miss the ambience of SF by doing that, and it's totally unnecessary.

Let us know what hotel you end up with. I'm wishing the Park Hyatt for you. Enjoy SF.
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:34 PM

Gee, CAvacationer, do you live and vacation in exclusively plastic neighborhoods?
The Moscone area is unsafe during the DAYTIME??
Have you even been there during the daytime? It's crawling with conventioneers and business people and is as safe as the upper east side of Manahattan, downtown LA, Michigan Avenue in Chicago.
Looks like you can skip visiting Prague, Venice, Rome, Amsterdam and Barcelona. Compared with downtown SF those cities are like Watts in 1965.
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:51 PM

TedTurner,

Hmm, I guess that your perception of the SoMa area is very different from what most people think of that part of SF. All it takes is going one or two blocks in the wrong direction from the conventione center and all bets are off. In answer to your question, I have been to Manhattan many times as well as Chicago and many of the European cities you have listed. I did not find any of those places as troubling as SoMa though. Also, I would never compare the Upper East Side of Manhattan to SoMa in SF. The Upper East Side is one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in Manhattan. SoMa doesn't even come close.
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:59 PM
mjs

I agree with Ted Turner and Betsy. I have lived in San Francisco twice and come into the city 4 to 6 times a year, last in March.
I do not find Union Square to be unsafe.
It is a big city so if you are not used to large cities it may seem unsafe but certainly not incomparison to central areas of cities such as New York, Boston, Los Angeles, Chicage etc.
Parts of Soma are a bit seedy, but not bad. I used to work right off Union Square and never had any problems day or night except for the ocassional pan handler for annoyance. Stayed at the Pan Pacfic in March and the Grand Hyatt on February with my young daughters going out day and night without any issues.
I do like the Cow Hollow and Marina area as I used to live there but there are no large hotels there but decent Motels on Lombard. Fisherman's Wharf is just pure tourist city and it would not me my kind of place to stay.
Old May 13th, 2003, 07:19 PM

I agree with the others who say to avoid SOMA and Union Square. I visit SF on a regular basis for business and these two areas seem to be getting worse. Although you will encounter some aggressive panhandlers during the day, you should be okay as long as you are aware of your surroundings. I am always amazed at how much cleaner the big cities of NYC and Chicago are as compared to SF and even Boston, which are in reality mid-sized cities considering that their populations are not all that large.
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 06:14 PM

Priceline divides Union Square into 2 distinct areas: USE and USW. USE is generally better, but USW is also nice. The trick to USW is that you have to stick to high end hotels. If you go below 3.5 star hotels, you could get something in the Tenderloin, a less desirable area of town. If you stick to 4-stars, Union Square (east or west), you'll be fine.
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 06:27 PM
SAB

8 years too late Marc.
Old Oct 20th, 2011, 06:32 PM

SAB
Old Oct 28th, 2011, 11:43 AM

Hilarious SAB! 8 days later.....
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 12:16 PM

I stay in the Union Square area all the time and like it a lot. It has great restaurants, shoppings, spas, playhouses, etc. You can do a lot there. I have never felt unsafe in Union Square. However, SoMA is a different subject. It's not as pleasant as Union Square, but if I found a great deal there, I would chance it. I just wouldn't stay in SoMA with children if you want to walk around. You can get some great deals through the different travel websites. I would also look at Southwest Airlines Vacations. You can get some good air/hotel deals through it. I flew to San Francico and stayed two nights in a 4 star Union Square hotel for $450 inclusive... not bad for a flight and hotel. Have fun and if you need a restaurant recommendation I have plenty! LOL
Old Oct 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM
SAB

What can I say. Priceless!!
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 11:30 AM

I would recommend Union Square. There's a lot to offer, diverse restaurants(walking distance wise), stores, cable car. And its best for nightlife too. Lots to offer
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 12:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
jherfmosa and gorblimey (and MarcJ55: It is usually best to read the whole thread before posting

Sort of doubt ChicagoDad is still looking for hotels for their 2003 trip . . .
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 12:14 PM

haha 2003. opps kinda too late
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 04:33 PM

Despite the panhandlers, we prefer a hotel in Union Square to one in SOMA, Embarcadero, or other SF neighborhood. We avoid being surprised by street people by scanning the sidewalk ahead of us as we walk from place to place, especially later in the evening.

HTTY

PS Who disinterred this moldy post?