Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Photography in Arches, Canyonlands, etc (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/photography-in-arches-canyonlands-etc-791825/)

Joanel Jun 23rd, 2009 05:48 PM

Photography in Arches, Canyonlands, etc

We will be in this area in very late sept and early October. Any suggestions for where to be and when?

I know early morning and around sunset are best, but can't be everywhere at once. any particular suggestions would be appreciated.

Will be there a few days.

Dayle Jun 23rd, 2009 06:19 PM

Joanel,

In Arches, at sunset, at the Balancing Rock or Windows area, looking southeast towards the La Sal Mtns.

Arches, at sunset, Delicate Arch, take a flashlight for the return.

Canyonlands, Mesa Arch, looking east at sunrise, you'll have to get up really early for this one!

Dead Horse Point, sunrise

If you're only there for a few days, you'll have to choose.

If you're there later in the fall, late Oct, or early Nov: Arches, Cottonwood Wash for the fall colors of the cottonwood trees against the blue sky and red rocks. Unforgettable! The whole place is lined with serious photographers.

Dayle Jun 23rd, 2009 06:21 PM

PS - you might catch this in the summer with an afternoon thunderstorm, but anywhere during the day or evening with a storm just coming in or breaking up! The clouds and the light are awesome.

tekwriter Jun 23rd, 2009 07:24 PM

Autumn should provide generally clear and crisp weather, a great time to visit Moab and photograph the parks. However, I got some of my best pictures ever on the top of Canyonlands during a cloudy, rainy day in April. I was so disappointed that the weather wasn't better, but the view of the clouds below us in the canyon was very dramatic. Sometimes we were in the clouds too - amazing with the red rocks around you for contrast. But the best part was when the sun was setting and dipped below the clouds. There were numerous rainbows below us and distinct shafts of light illuminating different features of rock and canyon.

Honestly, any time of the day or in any weather, you'll find something amazing to shoot in this area. Bring a ton of memory with you - you'll use it!

Myer Jun 24th, 2009 04:51 AM

I think you have to rank your priorities. For Arches and Canyonlands you won't be staying in-park. Therefore, anything to do with sunrise will require a very early start.

I would agree that Mesa Arch would be a great sunrise shot but I think most times of the day would be almost as good.

In Arches, nothing can beat sunset at Delicate Arch. Start almost two hours before sunset. Allow an hour to get there and an hour to enjoy it and take photos.

Depending upon how late you stay, having a flashlight for the return is a good idea.

You can see my photos at:

www.travelwalks.com

Select 2008 Utah trip.

peterboy Jun 24th, 2009 06:53 AM

As with elsewhere, the 'golden hours' are the best times. Pay attention to afternoon storms as well since they can a dramatic sky to your scenes. A polarizing filter can also deepen the blue sky but is easily overdone since the sky is so very blue there to start with.

You shouldn't have any trouble taking amazing photos in such a'target rich' environment. Have fun!

spirobulldog Jun 24th, 2009 04:10 PM

Everyone always says go to Delicate Arch @ Sunset. If I ever return I will go @ Sunrise. I would imagine only a few people instead of the 100 or so there at sunsets. I do think the sun coming over the sunrise would be fantastic. Arches NP has many areas that having striking shadows at sunrise and sunset. 3 gossips are neat in the evening as well as Park Avenue. Heck, you may want to hike to Delicate Arch at Sunrise and Sunset. I agree with Dayle-I guess I didn't expect much from Deadhorse Point. But whoa, what a view. One of the most jaw-dropping views I have experienced.