Photographing the Statue of Liberty

Apr 6th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Photographing the Statue of Liberty

We are arriving in Newark on the 9th April and was wondering if it is possible to photograph the Statue from the plane, if so from which side?

Cheers
Apr 6th, 2003, 06:06 AM

Hi Frit,
You won't know until you are arriving. There are various flight paths into Newark, some of which pass by the Statue of Liberty others which do not.
Apr 6th, 2003, 06:15 AM

Liberty Airport is actually south of the Statue of Liberty, so I don't think you will get much of a viewing of it on the way in, but you should be able to see the skyline of Manhattan and Newark.

Have a great time in the city.
Apr 6th, 2003, 06:46 AM

A mentioned, getting a photograph from the plane is fairly unlikely. However, if you have the time, you can get great pictures from the Staten Island Ferry. The trip is free with a roundtrip taking about an hour.
Apr 6th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information on the statue. Where will I get the ferry for the trip? we are coming from the UK and staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza on Eighth Avenue

Cheers
Apr 6th, 2003, 10:30 AM
GoTravel

Agree with the Staten Island Ferry idea. I have some wonderful pictures of it taken from the boat. To catch the ferry, walk through battery park to the ferry terminal (you can't miss it).

I've seen it a couple of times from the plane flying into LGA. From the air, it looks like a tiny green nub.

Apr 6th, 2003, 03:48 PM

Take the 1 train to South Ferry stop, which is just below the ferry terminal.
Apr 6th, 2003, 04:02 PM

You can sometimes see the statue from the plane if you are coming from a northern approach (which you should be from the UK) and know where to look. You must be on the left side of the plane (when you are looking toward the cockpit)and arriving at night. However, unless you have an amazing telephoto lens you will be too far way to get any kind of a picture. The best places to get pictures are from the Staten Island ferry, Liberty Island Ferry, or Liberty state park in NJ
Apr 6th, 2003, 04:55 PM

The Circle Line boat tours are another excellent means of great photo ops. There are one-hour tours from South Street Seaport, two hour tours from the pier on the western end of 42nd St. See www.circleline.com
Apr 6th, 2003, 05:05 PM

$10 (or $12, I can't remember) ticket from Battery Park gets you on the ferry that stops first on Liberty Island...you can stay as long as you want and then catch the ferry to Ellis Island (stopping there if you wish)and back to battery park. I have the best pictures of the statue taken on Liberty Island and would highly recommend a visit to the museum on Ellis island. If you have the time, you can make a day of it.
Apr 6th, 2003, 07:38 PM

Methinks, the direction of where you are coming from doesn't have anything to do with the landing approach into Newark (or into most airports, for that matter.) Planes land and takeoff into the wind. Regardless of thier direction of approach into the airport. Planes on a northerly landing approach into EWR, would fly just a few miles west of the Hudson regardless of the direction of their flight origin. However, a plane coming from the north would circle over western NJ and would enter the landing pattern several miles south of the airport.

In terms of photography from the plane, I should have clarified an earlier post by saying you can get an unbelievable shot of the NY skyline from a plane, if you are on the northern landing approach. If that is the case, you'd want to be on the left side of the plane.
Apr 6th, 2003, 08:51 PM

Ryan, too true all that physics and such. But the reality is the many times I have flow into and out of Newark we have taken off 75% of the time to the north and 25% of the time to the south and 98% of the time we approached from the North regardless of the time of day, tides, or number of moons discovered orbiting Jupiter (I don't know which direction the wind was blowing, because I was...on the plane). As I drive under the north approach twice a day almost everyday, I can safely say that it is a rare day when planes are not lined up on approach into the airport along that route. Most of the time, you take that Northern approach into the airport. I have only come in via the southern approach once and that was when I was flying from Charlotte, NC and it was raining. It is probably a pretty safe bet that Fritwash's plane will approach from the north. In terms of getting a good picture of the skyline of Manhattan, the best nighttime pictures will be had before about 10pm. Alot of the skyscrapers are no longer on til late in the night.
Apr 7th, 2003, 08:14 AM
GoTravel

Keep in mind when you get on the subway for the Staten Island Ferry, you need to be in one of the first 5 cars. It is a short platform.