Phone Calls from Alaska to Mainland U.S.

May 5th, 2002, 05:58 PM
First-time Alaskan Cruiser

Phone Calls from Alaska to Mainland U.S.

I'll be cruise/touring to Alaska in late May. What is the cheapest way to call New York State from Alaska, so I can assure my Parents that I haven't been eaten by a bear?

May 5th, 2002, 07:36 PM
John

How would you call home from Ohio? Same deal. Calls from the ship are likely to be pretty expensive, but calls from phone booths in port cities are just like phone calls from any other city in the USA.

By the way, the rest of the country (except Hawaii) is referred to as the "lower 48" or just "outside."

May 5th, 2002, 07:55 PM
pianomaster

Need advice on cruise tipping policies. Who gets what, how much and when?

May 6th, 2002, 04:25 AM
justamom

Why don't you buy a phone card? We are going to get one this summer so we can check with our kids as we drive from Florida to the NW for a long vacation. Cheapest way to go!!

May 6th, 2002, 04:28 AM
ronald

Are they worried you will be eaten by a bear on the cruise ship?

May 6th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Teresa

The phone cards I have say they are only good on calls made within the continental U.S. That's why I wondered what are the other options for calls from Alaska to mainland U.S?

May 6th, 2002, 06:41 AM
xx

Alaska is on the same continent as the lower 48, so you might want to recheck the definition of "continental" on yuor card. Hawaii refers to North America as "the mainland," but the term doesn't really apply for the Alaska-lower 48 relationship.

May 6th, 2002, 07:14 AM
John

Check the phone card for service outside the lower 48, or use any of the ATT, Sprint, etc. long distance options, including credit card calls, reversed charges, 1-800-call-att, etc. Alaska is simply another state, and the same rules apply. Your cell phone will also probably work in most towns, although you'll be charged a roaming fee depending on your plan.

May 6th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Teresa

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions on how best to call "mainland, continental US" from Alaska. I did call the customer service number on the back of a prepaid phone card I already have, and they confirmed that Alaska and Hawaii are considered the same as any other state for phone card purposes, even though the card said it was only good "in the continental US". And Ron, I will be travelling part of the tour on land, and might just run into a bear or two, but I was kidding when I said my Parents were worried I'd be eaten by a bear!

Search this Thread