Phoenix to Grand Canyon

Search

Phoenix to Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phoenix to Grand Canyon

My husband and I will be flying to Phoenix from Philadelphia on December 26 and leaving late on December 30. We have never been to the southwest or the Grand Canyon.
How crazy would it be to drive from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon and back in one day? We are in our late 20's and like to push ourselves; we would both be able to drive. WE don't mind driving in the dark. OUr biggest concern is the safety of the roads (would they be closed for snow closer to the Canyon?).
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 06:59 PM

It's a four to five hour drive between Phoenix to the Canyon; meaning you'll be doing eight to ten hours of driving in one day. Do-able for some people.

The roads between these two places rarely close for bad weather, but it is possible. Check the weather before you leave before sunrise.

Just be aware that the rim of the Canyon is in the mountains, and thus the weather will be quite cold if not downright chilly. Take some of your Philly winter clothes.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 10:56 PM

do yourself a favor, book 1 night hotel in e.g. Tusayan.,
That way you will enjoy Gr. Canyon much more and have time to make stops/walks etc.
Indeed bring a sweater and/or jacket, it can be cold, maybe even some snowq.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 06:01 AM

You asked, so I'll answer: Sounds crazy to me.

Coming off a 5-hour plane ride, you're then going to take on about 10 hours of driving, half of it in the dark, all for the "enjoyment" of seeing the GC. Hmmm.

BTW, I have been on the Interstate north out of Phoenix when it was closed because of snow, so it does happen.

BTW II, what time does your plane land? If it's midday or later, by the time you rent a car and get out of the aiport (which is on the wrong side of Phoenix, as far as your trip is concerned), how much daylight will you have to view the GC?

Take Ida's advice. Get a room in Sedona or some place nearby and make the rest of the trip the next a.m.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 06:36 AM

We did an overnight from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon a couple of times. The first time we stayed in Flaggstaff and the second time in the at the canyon. Sedona and Williams would also work for you.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Sorry, Flagstaff.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 07:58 AM
TheWeasel

j_999
I don't see anything in the OP's post about doing this drive as soon as they get off the plane.

As I said in the OP's other thread, seeing as you're already planning a separate daytrip to Sedona, why not just plan one overnight in Sedona, and drive to the GC from there? It doesn't make sense to drive from PHX to Sedona and back one day, and then from PHX to GC and back another day.

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 08:16 AM

ditto Weasel
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Just know that it takes 4.5 hours to drive each way to GC south rim. This could be done, but I think it would be more relaxing to stay overnight on the rim. It takes about ten hours to see all the viewpoints of the South Rim. You might want to shop and enjoy a nice meal. It looks like you could stay inside the park at Yavapai Lodge. If you call Xanterra, there will probably be other properties available for the dates you want.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Right you are, Weas. I assumed they'd fly and drive in the same day.

Still, even on separate days, it's a bad idea.