Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Phoenix,Sedona,Grand Canyon (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/phoenix-sedona-grand-canyon-43810/)

J. Murphy May 7th, 1999 05:00 PM

Phoenix,Sedona,Grand Canyon

Planning 8 day trip September 1999. Fly to Phoenix, drive to sedona and canyon. Need information on things to do, places to see. Is September a good time to avoid crowds aroung Canyon area ?

David May 16th, 1999 09:58 PM

Depending on your interests, if you spend any time in Phoenix you may want to consider Az. Diamondback baseball; Heard Museum (considered the best Native American Museum) in downtown;Science Museum; Scottsdale shops etc. Drive up to Sedona on I-17 worth stopping at Montezuma's castle (cliff dwelling right off of highway). In Sedona Jeep tours are popular; also hiking in Boynton Canyon is worth while (Near Enchantment Resort). From Sedona take 89A up Oak Creek Canyon. Winding canyon roadwith beautiful red rock vistas; stop at slide rock area; which is a slick rock outcropping with creek water flowing causing a natural recreation slide area. Also near at various points in the canyon you can park and walk around the creek with massive red rock canyon walls surrounding you. One of the best spots is near the top of the canyon where there is a parking area. The grand Canyon in September should not be a problem as far as crowds. Have fun

Jay Frank May 17th, 1999 03:19 AM

First of all, this is a great destination for a driving vacation! Two suggestions: get out of the car and experience the Red Rocks of Sedona; get out of the car and experience some of the many archeological sites in the area. <BR>

Amy May 17th, 1999 05:03 AM

<BR>I've done this trip and it's fantastic! If you can fit it in, I strongly reccommend you spend half a day driving along a scenic route to the east of Phoenix. Start at Apache Junction and go north along Rt.88. Depending on how much time you have, either turn around at Tortilla Flat (this TINY "town" is a hoot!) or go as far as Roosevelt and turn around. I spent a whole day driving the entire loop all the around (taking Rt.88 over to Rt.60 and Rt.60 takes you back to Apache Junction) but I believe the most scenic portion is between Apache Junction and Roosevelt. I'd turn around there and then get on my way to Sedona. You'll love Sedona! I liked the Grand Canyon but when I was there it was too crowded. It should be ok in September though. Have a great time!

Howard May 17th, 1999 06:30 AM

YOu've gotten great advice from all the previous posters. I would add one place in Scottsdale--Frank Lloyd Wright's Talieson West.

Ann May 17th, 1999 09:37 AM

If you have time (this could turn into a multi week trip if you listen to everyone, and all the above advice is great!), the ride from Prescott over the mountain to Jerome is great, and Jerome is an old copper mining town which is now all historic district. From there, the ride down into Cottonwood is beautifull and there's a train that's supposed to be neat (hope to do it my next trip). Then it's north into Sedona. <BR>Have a great trip.

B. Mott May 17th, 1999 03:33 PM

One thing to do that wasn't mentioned above is to go "horseback riding" while in Sedona - absolutely beautiful!<BR> <BR>As well, I would recommend checking out/climbing "Bell Mountain". It is amde out of bright red rock and supposedly has spirirtual powers!

David May 18th, 1999 10:42 PM

A little clarification on the Apache Trail suggestion. This is really a beautifully scenic ride. You pass a chain of 3 or more lakes. If you decide to drive all the way to Roosevelt lake be prepared to drive on winding narrow DIRT roads. It is well travelled but still dirt. Plus if you turn around you are backtracking over the same roads...be prepared to spend all day in the car. The ride out to Tortilla flats is paved and the scenery you see up to that point is generally what you will see later on. Just offering information so you know what choices you may be makeing!

David May 18th, 1999 10:48 PM

An afterthought: <BR>One of the better suggestions above is the one about Prescott. Suggest you go to a AAA office or get a good map. From Phoenix drive out to Wickenberg. Then from there you go up over a mountain and into Prescott; pine country ( which will be noice in september)sites include whiskey row, courthouse square. Then on to Jerome, described above . and then to Sedona etc. This route allows you to by pass the Interstate and see some very ice sights along the way. Something to consider.

M & J May 19th, 1999 02:49 PM

You have selected great destinations, we love 'em all. When you drive the Apache Trail from Phoenix and stop at Tortilla Flats, stop in at the store for some Prickly Pear ice cream! If you have time, a hot air balloon ride over Sedona at dawn is fantastic.

Amy May 20th, 1999 09:16 AM

<BR>Oooooo, I forgot about that Prickly Pear Ice Cream! That stuff was dee-lish!!! Trust us, that in itself makes the Apache Trail option not an "option" but a "MUST!"