Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Phoenix - Scottsdale Area Hotel suitable for family reunion? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/phoenix-scottsdale-area-hotel-suitable-for-family-reunion-478326/)

Al_LaCarte Oct 4th, 2004 09:27 AM

Phoenix - Scottsdale Area Hotel suitable for family reunion?

Hello all.

We are in the midst of planning a family reunion for the summer of 2005 and are looking for a suitable hotel. There will be between 30 - 40 of us and the hotel in question should have a pool, restaurant, bar and be in close proximity to shopping, restaurants, nightlife, etc. We would like to stay in the Scottsdale area but are willing to look at Tempe, Phoenix, Cave Creek, etc. The rooms should not exceed $125 per night, per room.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

AL ((D))

jkgourmet Oct 4th, 2004 10:47 AM

Since you are traveling in summer, you will have no problem finding rooms in a very nice resort for $125/night. In fact, do remember to negotiate. Often resorts will do hotel credits towards food or drinks during the summer months. Give me an idea of what kind of place you are looking for and let's try to narrow it down for you.

Al_LaCarte Oct 6th, 2004 01:01 PM

jkgourmet,

I don't really know what else to tell you other than the things I've already mentioned. We need a place that can accomodate a large group easily. Would like to have pools for the kids, central areas conducive to getting together and be in an area where local activities are within walking distance.

Thanks for your help.

AL ((D))

MissPicante Nov 9th, 2004 05:05 PM

Our family is going back for the third year in a row for Thanksgiving weekend at Summerfield Suites in Scottsdale. The suites have small kitchens and living rooms. There is a nice pool, free happy hour during the week, and a good (hot) breakfast buffet included in the cost of the room. Old Town Scottsdale with shopping and restaurants is just a few blocks away, as is a large mall. The only drawback is that there isn't a restaurant or bar on the premises, but we think the other advantages still make it a good place to stay.

jkgourmet Nov 10th, 2004 06:48 AM

I'm afraid that "within walking distance" in Phoenix is not really reasonable. No one walks here - too hot. Excluding that requirement, consider the Hilton Pointe properties (there are three - S. Mtn, Tapatio and Squaw Peak. S. Mtn the newest and nicest, the others more centrally located.) They have waterparks, which the kids will love, multiple restaurants and bars. Also consider Scottsdale Plaza Resort, mainly because of it's location and you should be able to get a terrific rate there. It's an older property, but still quite nice, also has restaurants and the best piano bar in town (IMO). Several nice pool areas. During the summer, they do a promotion where they give you a room for $100, and then $100 credit towards food and drink anywhere on the property. So with a group your size, you should be able to really bargain with them. Considering your group size, I'd also call the Phoenician and the Biltmore. Both are top hotels (the Phoenician has 17 pools, the Biltmore was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Either of those would be my first choice, but you will have to bargain hard to keep in that budget. But do try, because summer here invites bargains.

k_999_9 Nov 10th, 2004 08:23 AM

Agree that the "walking distance" thing is going to be a problem.

But, anyway, in Scottsdale you might consider the Marriott Camelback. I think it has what you're looking for, plus it offers several different types (and prices) for accommodations -- basic rooms, villas, etc. That means anyone who want to splurge, can do so, while others can do it on the cheap.

Al_LaCarte Nov 10th, 2004 08:33 AM

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, in the month since I first posted this the decision has already been made. It looks like it's going to be Wyndham in The Buttes.

Your thoughts (other than the fact that know it's not walking distance)?

Many thanks,

AL ((d))

jkgourmet Nov 10th, 2004 12:13 PM

A very nice resort. Good location for visiting the entire area, lovely setting. The high end restaurant is quite good, and several major highways are very nearby. As this is Tempe, you have an advantage that Tucson will be 1/2 hour closer if you want to take a day trip (which I would). If you got a good rate, you've done well.

Al_LaCarte Nov 11th, 2004 08:09 AM

Thanks for all your help.

jkgourmet,

Thanks also for the reassuring words. I'm not sure what the final rate is, however, I believe it will be well south of $90 per room.

Again, thanks to all.

AL ((d))

jkgourmet Nov 11th, 2004 11:15 AM

very good indeed. Warn whoever is taking care of the negotions that it si common here to add a "resort facility fee" to the daily rate when you check out. This daily fee is usually $7-10 bucks. She/he should make sure they dealwith that BS ahead of time!