Phoenix hotels/priceline or hotwire

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, my husband and I are thinking of a 3-night trip to Phoenix in early October, as a "trip without the kid" treat for ourselves. I was thinking it would be fun to stay at a resort. We thought we'd take a day trip to Sedona as well, and maybe fit in some spa treatment somewhere. We'd also like to see the Frank Lloyd Wright House.

I know nothing about the Phoenix area and would love some assistance on where to stay ("Chandler?" "Carefree?" etc.) so that I could try for a hotel reservation through Priceline or Hotwire.

ANY ADVICE re: where to stay, bidding for hotels, or things to do in Phoenix/Sedona is welcome. I've already done searches on this site but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 02:44 PM

I have bid on Priceline only a couple of times and for areas in California that I was familiar with, however, recently, for a trip back East later this year, I started playing around with the idea of bidding for hotels on Priceline.

My experience has been that to get the best information use biddingfortravel.com in conjunction with tripadvisor.com. Not only will you get a lot of information about the specific properties that you are interested and from people who have actually stayed at those properties, but you also get lots of information from the other links as well.

I have not bid yet, but did make a reservation (not a Priceline bid) in one city based on all the information gathered on both biddingfortravel and on tripadvisor.

Good luck! Lots of work, but fun!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:50 PM

Also look at wwww.betterbidding.com.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:52 PM

Another site that can help you with Priceline and Hotwire is www.betterbidding.com. I used them to help me get the Westin Kierland Resort in Scottsdale for $90/night. It was a great resort and a real bargain at that price. We could probably have gotten something cheaper on Priceline but we chose Hotwire as, with the help of Better Bidding, we were able to be reasonably sure of which hotel we were getting before we bought. With Priceline, there is no way of guessing what you'll get before you buy. we also got the Hilton Phoenix Airport for $30 on Priceline for the night before our departure so we wouldn't have to get up so early to make our flight. Nothing fancy (like the Westin), but it was adequate and convenient and certainly worth $30/night.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:55 PM

hi there, I just posted my trip report for you (titled Phoenix Trip Report- special thanks to Ljyoung and others!). We went in the spring and PL'd our hotel. Had a fantastic time!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:05 PM

i would limit my area to scottsdale; noreth scottsdale if available.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 07:01 AM

I agree to stick to scottsdale. I beleive priceline has a resort category for that location. We've used it successfully there a few years ago. Biddingfortravel and/or betterbidding will give you an idea of which resorts are generally awarded and at what prices.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We will look into N. Scottsdale.

Do you think we're correct in planning a day trip to Sedona, or should we spend a night there?