Phoenix Grand Hotel - Salem

Jan 27th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Phoenix Grand Hotel - Salem

Daughter will be visiting Willamette Univ in mid-Feb so hubby and I have one night on our own in Salem. The Phoenix Grand Hotel has been recommended to us. Rates are starting at $149. I don't see anything else downtown. Should we go for it or do you have any other suggestions? Is downtown Salem nice?
Jan 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM
mms

That would be a good option for being close to Willamette. The location is fine, and yes, close to the heart of downtown. Downtown Salem is ok, not bad but not overly exciting either. A good place near the University for a casual meal is the Ram, in case you needed any suggestions.
Jan 27th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

We are dropping daughter at Willamette U at 11:00am and don't need to pick her up til early the next morning so if there is somewhere fun/nice in the vicinity we are certainly open to staying there( of course, it is February!). Thanks for any suggestions!
Jan 28th, 2009, 06:03 AM
mms

Since you have that much time, what about coming up to Portland for the night instead? Much more interesting than Salem (I grew up there so can say that, lol) with way more options for good restaurants, etc. It is only an hour north, so you could be back in Salem early without it being a fuss.
Jan 28th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

We will actually be staying the two nights prior in Portland while daughter stays and visits at Lewis and Clark. I got the new Nines Hotel for $99 a night which is why I am balking at paying $149 in Salem! Thanks so much.
Jan 28th, 2009, 06:27 AM
mms

Oh, ok I do think that would be your best bet for a hotel. The location is good. Depending on the weather, after you drop DD you could head over to Silver Falls just east of town. Or you could head up hwy99w and visit some wineries. Salem doesn't have very much for visitors, but if you want to stay in town, hit Deepwood Mansion and Bush House/park. Not as good as in the summer, but it is something to do.
Jan 28th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Wineries sound like fun. Thanks so much.