Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Phoenix - GC Trip with kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/phoenix-gc-trip-with-kids-292757/)

wanderer4x Feb 26th, 2003 12:05 PM

Phoenix - GC Trip with kids

My wide and I are flying into Phoenix with our kids (7, 4 and 2) and driving up to see the Grand Canyon and surrounding areas. We are staying for three nights and want to stay somewhere central. We are considering Sedona, but are concerned that it would be too far for a day-trip to the Grand Canyon. Also have considered Williams, but fear that it is too far from other areas that would interest the kids. Any thoughts/suggestions on where to stay would be appreciated.

utahtea Feb 26th, 2003 01:00 PM

What other areas specifically are you referring to? Three nights doesn't give you much time. Montezuma Castle<BR>National Monument located in Camp Verde, AZ is not far from Sedona.<BR><BR>From Sedona to Grand Canyon visitor center is 123 miles. <BR><BR>Which would be easier: Packing up and moving to another motel or driving back another 123 miles with a tired 7, 4 &amp; 2 year old? <BR><BR>Even if you stay in Williams it is 65 miles to Sedona and that means you have to drive that hour back. From Williams to the rim of the Grand Canyon is 60 miles and that's another extra hour in the vehicle.<BR><BR>IMHO, it would be easier to stay in two places like at the Grand Canyon for two nights and Sedona for one night and do short trips from each. You will also have a place close by if the kids need to crash. Also the day you move from one location to the other you could do some sightseeing. <BR><BR>Utahtea<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

dwooddon Feb 26th, 2003 01:30 PM

An attraction the kids might enjoy seeing (or riding) is in Williams. The Grand Canyon Railroad offers daily trips from Williams to the South Rim, at least through the summer. I'm not certain of their off-season schedules. The trains are usually pulled by old, restored steam engines and I've never met a kid that wasn't fascinated watching them, at least a time or two. They depart around 9:00 am and return late afternoon. If you are a AAA member, they have discounted trips.

nina Feb 26th, 2003 04:44 PM

I hope the reference to your &quot;wide&quot; was not a Freudian slip.<BR><BR>

help Feb 26th, 2003 05:54 PM

little ones will be tired and cranky to drive back after a day trip..stay the night in the G.Canyon...even if you don`t stay in the park stay in Tusayan(8 miles outside)..there is nothing in Williams but a few motels and a few restaurants...4 and 2 are a little young for the train trip there and back..IMO..and then you could go back to Sedona and day trip that end...JMHO...

peggi Feb 27th, 2003 05:29 AM

Be careful with a 4 and 2 yr. old in the Grand Canyon!! People DO fall in; I honestly think I'd use one of those leash things or keep them strapped in a stroller. We have done the GC twice from Sedona as a day trip (once with a 10 year old and 12 year old) and it was quite doable, but I don't know with the little ones. I hate changing hotels when traveling with kids! Sedona is fabulous, by the way. We love it.

mahoneycutt Feb 27th, 2003 04:28 PM

I'll second &quot;Peggi's&quot; recommendation about keeping a eye on the kids. There are plenty of fences and walls, but there are also plenty of people at the South Rim, so it would be easy to lose track of one of the small ones.<BR><BR>I'm of two opinions about trying a day trip, but you know your family better than I do so:<BR><BR>1. Do the day trip, everyone has a good time, kids are exhausted and sleep the entire trip back.<BR><BR>2. Try the day trip, everyone is exhausted, most of the family gets sunburn, the trip back is torture :-)<BR><BR>Remember that sunrise/sunset are special in the Grand Canyon, so you might consider staying overnight.<BR><BR>Have a good trip.<BR><BR>Mike Honeycutt