Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Phoenix AZ - Bus service ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/phoenix-az-bus-service-153889/)

foilfresh Jan 9th, 2003 08:48 AM

Phoenix AZ - Bus service ?

Hello,<BR><BR>could anyone in the Phoenix area who rely on public transportation to get around give me their honest opinion of how it rates?<BR><BR>I realise that its easier to drive everywhere, but im interested to hear how easy/hard it is to get around.<BR><BR>Thanks !<BR><BR>

May Jan 9th, 2003 09:18 AM

I used to live in Phoenix and wouldn't have ever even known that there WAS a bus service.<BR><BR>Public transit is a complete afterthought in Arizona.<BR><BR>You just can't use it for much of anything. Certainly not as a tourist.

Lori Jan 9th, 2003 10:27 AM

I suppose I've seen a bus in Phoenix but I sure can't remember when! Seriously, rent a car, everyone drives everyplace.

steve Jan 9th, 2003 12:25 PM

Buses run at most once every 30 minutes on the route. I think it is 60 minutes on many routes.<BR><BR>I would drive.

Lila Jan 9th, 2003 08:10 PM

You can rent a car on Priceline CHEAP!<BR><BR>(Full size with unlimited mileage - $20 a day and less for smaller cars)

Andrew Jan 9th, 2003 08:24 PM

I lived in Phoenix for a few years and never rode a bus once. In Portland I ride the bus several times a week. Some cities have better bus service than others. I agree: rent a car.<BR><BR>Priceline and car rentals: don't expect to save much off the best rate you could find on your own. On my only car rental on Priceline, I saved exactly 20% off the best AAA rate I could find - and 20% is what Priceline suggests you should expect to save. Other bids for cars on other trips failed.<BR><BR>I'm not sure I would use Priceline for a rental car again unless the trip was set in stone and it would be a rental of several days at least. With their $5.95 booking fee you won't save much if anything on a short rental. With Priceline hotels, you can save a lot more money, making a non-refundable hotel booking much more worth the risk.<BR><BR>Andrew<BR>

xxx Jan 9th, 2003 08:45 PM

rental car for sure

sara Jan 10th, 2003 06:51 AM

Seems like people are assuming that foilfresh is planning a vacation to Phoenix and has an opportunity to rent a car. Maybe he doesn't have a license. Maybe he is planning on moving to Phoenix and doesn't have a license. He didn't say &quot;should I rent a car instead?&quot; He just asked about bus service. Anyway, my answer is that there are plenty of bus stops and I see many busses. However, since I am not a bus rider myself, I can't comment on how easy or hard it might be to get where you're wanting to go. The name of the bus service here is Phoenix Transit. If you did a search on the internet, perhaps you could find their bus schedule on-line, or at least find their phone number to call and ask for a copy of their schedule. Hope that helps.

michele Jan 15th, 2003 01:05 PM

A friend of mine used to ride the Phoenix buses a lot. She was able to get around fine, but not in the summer months. It is way too hot to be hanging around a bus stop in over 100 degree temperatures. Also, many bus lines don't take you to residential neighborhoods or on the outskirts of the city (where many hotels are located). If you have to use the bus, do so. But, if you can afford a rental car, you better do that. No one, I mean practically no one, uses the bus system in Phoenix as their primary mode of transportation.

foilfresh Jan 16th, 2003 07:26 PM

heya, thanks for all your replies.<BR><BR>yes i should have mentioned that i am in fact moving to phoenix.<BR><BR>i dont have a driving licence, but trust me i will be learning asap.<BR><BR>i just wanted to get a feel if you could actually get around without a car.<BR><BR>i accept that driving is the best option, and ill be limited until i have a car.<BR><BR>thanks for all the help