Search

Phoenix area hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phoenix area hotels

We are heading down to Phoenix to catch some spring training games in March. The games are in Peoria. I'd like to priceline a hotel and notice that there are some resorts listed in Phoenix north area. How far of a drive is this area to Peoria?

The resorts are Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort, J. W. Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa, Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 03:36 PM

Pointe Tapatio would be closest, but is still a long drive, probably 15 miles, maybe 20-25 minutes...Desert Ridge is much further east, but you could take the 101 to the stadium area and it probably wouldn't take all that long, probably about the same length of time as the Pointe, but you'd be on the freeway and with the Pointe you'd be on surface streets.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I've been looking for a Phoenix map that shows outlaying areas but they aren't very good!
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 11:10 AM

FYI, I stayed at the Point Hilton in Tapatio Cliffs not that long ago. We had a suite which was nicely sized and several pools. (Not entirely sure, but I believe most of the rooms are suites.) There is a access to a hiking trail, just near the tennis courts, if you wanted to take a stroll through some of the desert landscape.

The restaurant at the very top of the resort had a nice menu and good wine.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:00 PM

If I had my druthers, the Marriott all the way. Much newer and w/ better facilities. Right off 101 @ Tatum. Is next door to Desert Ridge shopping center, which is an outdoor mall/entertainment venue w/ tons of restaurants, bars, shops & a movie theater. Lots more to do in this area than around the Hiltons. It shouldn't take more than 30 mins or so from any of the hotels to get to Peoria (Non-rush hour of course). Have fun.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:22 PM

I stayed at the Squaw Peek Hilton. If you're looking for goofy fun at a family friendly pool, that's your place. The rooms were nice enough. If you're into swank, maybe not.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Do you think these resorts are nicer than the 3 star hotels in downtown and metro center? (Sheraton, Crown Plaza, Hilton). If I wasn't using priceline and was just looking for the best hotel in the best area of Phoenix to attend games in Peoria what would you suggest?

thanks!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:21 AM

I would take any of the resorts mentioned previously over the hotels you listed (I am assuming Sheraton Crescent & Crowne Plaza Metrocenter from your Priceline search - Not sure which Hitlon) if prices were similar just because of the additional amenities - The pools alone would be worth it. However, if all you care about is a decent place to sleep close to the ballpark, why not just stay on the west side? There is a Residence Inn (Among others) across the street from Peoria Sports Complex, you could walk there. This area has plenty of restaurants, a mall, etc. You can always hop the aforementioned 101 and go east to Scottsdale if there is something over there you want to see.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:29 AM

Wendy, we enjoyed AZ spring training last year. Something I wish we had known - you can bring in bottled water if it is sealed. It was mighty warm when we were there and we spent a fortune on drinks to keep cool. We were envious of the smart young couple in front of us who had brought in a gallon of water. They just passed it back and forth and saved $$.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I just got the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort for $75 per night for 4 nights on priceline!!! Gotta love that site