PHOENIX airport hotel & CAR rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be dropping off the rental car at PHX airport. I made reservations (one-way from Albuquerque) with Hertz.
My questions : do you advise to return the car night before, as our flight leaves quite early AM ? Does Hertz have shuttle service only to airport or also to some hotels ? Can anyone recommend a hotel with easy access to (Hertz) car rentals and the airport ? We'll be driving from Sedona to Phoenix airport the day before the flight home. We plan to check in at the hotel, leave the suitcases there, then return the car and use shuttle service to get back to the hotel. The hotel needs to be nearby with shuttle service to airport and (hopefully) with breakfast included. I am trying to make it as easy and hassle-free as possible !
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 10:29 AM

You didn't say how early your flight is, however, I have driven back to Sky Harbor for very early flights on many occassions as a frequent business traveler and I always use Hertz. The Hertz lot is always manned and it takes only a few minutes to drive in and return the car. They give you a receipt immediately while you are still with your rental car. From there, there are 2 busses(if I recall correctly) that go to different terminals depending on your airline and the busses leave every 10-15 minutes or so. The busses don't go anywhere else that I am aware of.If you would rather not do this, I see that the Arizona Biltmore advertises a Hertz rental on the property which would be nice. I also used to see a Hertz return and rental at the Marriott Camelback Inn - don't know if they still have it because they don't list it on their website. If you choose to return the car the night before, I wouldn't bother with dropping the luggage first - it just puts one more thing into the equation.
Finally, you are looking for breakfast to be included in your stay...if your flight leaves early you may miss out because a lot of hotels start serving breakfast too late - this I know because I often end up grabbing something at the airport. I hope this helps!
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:23 PM

We stayed at the Days Inn on Van Burren Ave. it was cheap, $55 for the night, and was about a 5 min drive from the rental places. We rented a car from Alamo, which was next door to the Hertz place. I think that they are all open 24hrs, as the Alamo place was, so no worries. We had an 8 am flight, so we dropped the car around 6 am. Just call the Hertz place in advance. It's much easier to drop it the morning before the flight, otherwise, how will you get back to the hotel?
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Park at your hotel, ask them for good directions back to the airport (or make a trial run the night before)...and don't worry about relying on whether or not the hotel shuttle driver shows up to work on time that morning.

Hertz returns are a snap.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:16 AM

We just flew ourt of PHX on Monday. We stayed at the Radisson Phoenix (got it on Priceline for 50) We were flying out at 7:40 am We had dinner Sunday night.Then my husband droppped the car off, took a ride on their shuttle to airport and then the hotel picked him up. It took him all of 45 minutes and sure made our morning easier the next day. Good luck! H
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 06:18 AM

I stayed at the Doubletree Guest Suites Phoenix-Gateway Center after reading a review on tripadvisor that stated Enterprise had an agreement with the hotel in which guests could leave their cars in the parking lot, turn the key into the bellboy and Enterprise would come pick it up. This worked well for me - I know the hotel had this deal with some other car rental companies, but I'm not sure if Hertz is one of them. It took me a little while to confirm they had this deal - calling 800 number of Enterprise and the location I picked the car up from in Phoenix (different location) and they didn't know if this was true, but calling nearest branch to the hotel confirmed this. The hotel has a free shuttle to the airport that runs every half hour, drive is maybe 10 minutes. The hotel also has a very nice free buffet breakfast. This worked well for me as non-airport Enterprise offices had closed by the time I got into Phoenix, so I couldn't return the car then and I didn't have to stress about anything in the morning.