Search

Northern CA 5 days

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2017, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern CA 5 days

My husband and I will be flying into SF on Sunday (late August) and leaving Thursday. We know one day (my 40th bday��) we'd like to do wine tours in Sonoma/Napa. Other than that our days are open.
Things that are important to us are hiking - coastline, a nice beach and great sunrises and sunsets. We are first time visitors to CA and would welcome any recommendations.
We are open to staying various places. 1 night for sure needs to be on the ocean.
We are not too interested in exploring much of SF as we have promised our son a trip there in a few years. TIA for your time and recommendations.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 06:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd head up to the Marin or Sonoma coast for Sunday and Monday night, then to somewhere in the Sonoma Valley for Tues/Wed nights.

Without a budget it is hard to give suggestions re where exactly to stay but places to look: Stinson Beach, Bodega Bay or Jenner on the coast. And Healdsburg or Sonoma in Wine country. OR -- if you wanted to be in the Napa Valley instead -- Yountville, St Helena or Calistoga.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 08:16 AM

I assume you'll have a car? This is a great hike that includes Muir Beach. You can have lunch at the Pelican Inn.

http://www.hikerly.com/coastal-trail...miles-2386-ft/

For unbelieveable views, hike from Pantoll Station at Mt. Tamalpais. I've lived in the Bay Area since 1973 and I think this is the best view I've ever seen.

https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/c...ais-state-park
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 08:16 AM

As first-time visitors to California I just want to tell you about the beaches. Come prepared with jackets and wear layers. The weather can be different 10 miles down the road. Beaches are rugged, windy, beautiful and the water is cold. Don't expect "Baywatch" beaches.

The northern California coast is beautiful. janisj has given you some great options.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 08:38 AM

>>Beaches are rugged, windy, beautiful and the water is cold<blue>COLD!!!</blue>
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 09:46 AM

You might consider staying on the Ocean in Half Moon Bay. Less than 1 hr fom SFO (airport- not City). Beautiful drive to get there.
http://www.beach-house.com/half-moon-bay/index.aspx

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 10:43 AM

I'd might agree but they want to head up to Napa/Sonoma and IMO there is more 'sightseeing' in Marin and on the coast north of SF than in half moon bay (and I love half moon bay)
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 11:38 AM

I was thinking it might be a good place for the first couple of days/nights (maybe only 1 night) if they arrive at SFO a little "tattered & worn" & don't want to head through the City & up north that first day. SFO to the car rental pickup, through the City on 19th ave & GG Bridge & navigating through Marin to Hwy 1 might be a little challenging & tiresome all in one day - especially if it is during weekday evening rush hours.

It's a 1/2 hr drive to Stinson Beach - 2 hrs or more during rush hours, and about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs to Healdsburg or St Helena. If they follow Mapquest's suggested route to St Helena, it might be a dreadful 3 hr trip during evening commute time - which usually starts around 3PM.

Personally, after a long flight, we don't like to drive more than 1 1/2 hrs on arrival day - and especially not through an unfamiliar city. I thought perhaps a couple of days on the beach at Half Moon Bay then a more leisurely drive north on Hwy 1, Great Highway, Ocean Beach, throught the golf course on El Camino Del Mar, through the Presidio on Lincoln Blvd (fabulous views of the GG Bridge), then a drive over the GG Bridge to Cozelman & GGNRA with the best views in the entire Bay Area (IMO) - might be the best way to start a visit to the Bay Area, instead of a fast-paced drive through the City on 19th ave (ugly).

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Love ALL these ideas. Thank you!!
sf7307 yes we will be renting a car. What is the name of the hike you highly recommend at Mt. Tamalpais?
As far as budget, we don't mind spending in the mid 200's for something on the coast, however we'd like something more reasonable (100's) for the other 3 nights.

Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated. We tend to drive to much and it would be great to get out and enjoy.
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 07:51 PM

>>As far as budget, we don't mind spending in the mid 200's for something on the coast, however we'd like something more reasonable (100's) for the other 3 nights.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 06:26 AM

Napa Valley Lodge where we've stayed a couple of times has rooms in late August (mid-week) from $255 to $315 for non-suite rooms. Plus a lot of taxes.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 12:26 PM

Agree, Stinson Beach along 1 is great and we loved Sonoma/Healdsburg much more than Napa; do the experienced Californians (you know who you are) think they can get a night or two at Mendocino too? From Healdsburg, it's not too far (if that cut-off is open again so you need not go through the state forest detours.....). The Heritage House was simply fabulous (Same Time Next Year site for you youngins' who dont remember the movie w Alan Alda).
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 12:38 PM

Mendocino much farther than the Marin or Sonoma coasts but would be doable. It would be about 4.5 hours up from SFO and 3-ish hours back down to Sonoma. But it would be VERY hard to find accommodations w/i that budget.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 12:39 PM

The El Bonita Napa Valley Motel, a Best Western property in St. Helena that is nicer than it sounds, is just a hair under $200. We stayed there last December and thought it was great--quiet, clean, very well-located, helpful staff.
http://www.elbonita.com
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 03:52 PM

I agree with janisj, that you'll have a hard time finding ocean view accommodation along the Northern California coast at that price in August. Try Fort Ross Lodge near Jenner on the Sonoma Coast. It's not fancy, but some of the units have ocean views. They also have kitchenettes and barbecues. And there are nice walking paths around the property.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Hotel_...alifornia.html
Timber Cove Resort, also in Jenner and facing the ocean, is more upscale, but you'll probably pay over $300 for an ocean view room.
http://www.timbercoveresort.com/rooms-and-suites/

You might want to look at accommodation in Elk, one of my favorite spots on the Mendocino Coast. It's 15 miles south of Mendocino village.
http://www.elkcoveinn.com/

I agree with aliced that Heritage House Little River, just south of Mendocino village, is great. They might have an ocean view room for less than $300 in August.
http://www.heritagehouseresort.com/default-en.html
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 04:47 PM

I don't think we are being realistic w/ our recommendations. The OP posted >>As far as budget, we don't mind spending in the mid 200's for something on the coast, however we'd like something more reasonable (100's) for the other 3 nights.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj for the clarification.

We did find some great prices on vrbo/airbnb.

We were feeling pretty overwhelmed after looking at prospects and thought we'd just drive north once we got to SF and find a place to stay. But, now I am having second thoughts. We are fine with staying somewhere inland 3 of the days.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 07:22 PM

>>after looking at prospects and thought we'd just drive north once we got to SF and find a place to stay.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 09:28 PM

I just checked Fort Ross Lodge and they have ocean view accommodation mid-week late August for under $200. Rooms with fireplace and hot tubs are a little more (but I think these also have better views).

janisj, you wrote earlier, "Mendocino much farther than the Marin or Sonoma coasts but would be doable. It would be about 4.5 hours up from SFO and 3-ish hours back down to Sonoma."

Two days along the coast will be more relaxed, but one night on the coast for the 40th birthday treat is not so out of the way, if starting from Sonoma. I think Healdsburg to Mendocino or Elk would be a little more than 2 hours, taking the Highway 128 way. A really pretty drive with wineries to stop at.

Healdsburg to Jenner would be about an hour 20 minutes, taking Highway 116 (Russian River Valley).

kmgrab, please be aware that some portions of the drives are curvy.

I lived in Marin for nearly 30 years. My husband and I would often drive up to Mendocino or Sonoma Coast for a night or two.
Old Jul 31st, 2017, 04:12 AM

Oh, I totally agree -- IF they do Sonoma first it is a MUCH shorter drive up to Mendocino County. But then they would have the 4.5 hour drive back to SFO. The will be that drive one way or the other.

Whatever they choose, it really would be less hectic if they could do two days each Sonoma and the coast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -