PHL Airport hotel to Convention Center

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be a national conference this summer and was wondering the cost and the time needed to go from the Residence Inn PHL Airport to the PHL Convention Center?

What transportation alternatives do I have and how much would it be per day round trip?

The state delegation is staying at the Ritz-Carlton but the budget they give us doesn't quite cover the cost of those rooms and thought I would be better off sharing a 2 bedroom suite at the Residence Inn airport and coming in every day using Marriott points. Lots more room and more privacy than sharing a two bed regular room at the Ritz and paying $250 a day. If the hassle is worth it.

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 10:40 AM
GoTravel

I'm not exactly sure where the convention center is but if it isn't within walking distance to your hotel, I can't think of a worse place to stay than by the PHL airport.

PHL is such a fabulous city that I would try every way possible to get a hotel downtown. The Ritz-Carlton is downtown and I'm sure there are more reasonable alternatives close by.

Have you checked priceline or hotwire?

Old Dec 12th, 2006, 10:56 AM

I have stayed at the Residence Inn PHL. They have a shuttle to both the SEPTA (train) station or back to the airport, where you might pick up a shuttle to the Ritz-Carlton(?) to meet with your colleagues. The SEPTA train is reasonably fast, only a few stops from Eastwick where you get dropped off by the shuttle to center city. I think it's about a 1/3 of a mile walk or so from one of the center city stations to the convention center, I'm not sure, but you could probably track that down. Go to www.septa.org for SEPTA info.

You'll hear plane noise at the Residence Inn for sure - it's not awful but probably not as quiet as staying at a decent hotel in center city. Otherwise it's a decent hotel - I think they still have a free breakfast(?).

But I too would try Priceline and try to score a hotel in center city. You ought to be able to get something down there for a whole lot less than $250/night. Try BiddingForTravel.com for info on bidding on Priceline in the Phildadelphia area. Just remember that Priceline is non-refundable/non-changeable once you book it, and it's rarely to your advantage to book way in advance. Your best bet with Priceline in my opinion is to bid for a room 4-6 weeks before you arrive or maybe even less than that.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 10:56 AM

There is a train from the airport to downtown. It takes about 30 minutes and is not expensive.

However, don't stay near the airport. There's nothing to do there, other than watch planes take off and land. There are plenty of hotels around the convention center area that aren't in the price range of the Ritz Carlton, and there's so much to do and see in that area.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GoTravel..... actually my family and I will be staying at the Philadelphia Marriott downtown prior to the start of the convention (for 5 days). This will be our tourist time in Philadelphia. I will send the family home before the meeting starts.

I was just hoping that during the convention itself I could save some bucks and stay somewhere where I didn't have to pay (i.e. Marriott rewards points) and take the train or subway in to the convention center.

At the convention we have to share rooms, and I will be sharing with a guy I really don't know well. This is a education conference, poor teachers here! I thought we might be better off with a 2 bedroom suite at the Residence Inn then sharing one room at the Ritz with a virtual stranger and paying out the nose for luxury accomodations nightly with "Joe" .
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

One thing too, is that we have activities planned most evenings with other teachers who will have rooms at the Ritz. So we can enjoy the Ritz before and after the meeting and then head back to our hotel probably around 8-9 p.m.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, with that arrangement I guess staying near the airport makes some sense. But isn't the Marriott on Market Street also a suite hotel?
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Just an added note... be extra attentive to travel time with PHL. Make sure you allow plenty of time to arrive at the airport before a flight.

I use PHL a lot since I live right here in Delaware. I find them to be among the worst for delays at security checkpoints and delayed flights. Just an FYI.

What conference are you going to in Philly? I am a teacher myself and just thought I'd ask out of curiosity.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

The National Education Association Representative Assembly
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 09:17 PM

In the last year, I've stayed at the Marriott Courtyards and the Fairfield Inn (also Marriott), both on Bartram Ave near PHL Airport.

I found both to be immaculate, very comfortable, and heard no airplane noise whatsoever. The main difference between them and say a regular Marriott seemed to be the trendyness of the furnishings and the amount of art on the walls. Beds were very comfortable and bathrooms large if rather sterile looking.

The first time, I just wanted to be near the airport for an early departure, the second time it seemed like the entire city was booked for a big convention and Fairfield was all I could find under $350 a night (I paid $89 or so). I was busy visiting friends, so the lack of an interesting neighborhood was not an issue.

I believe they both had some sort of shuttle, and I think it was into the city as well as the airport. Not sure though, as I had a car both times. Parking was free at both hotels.

I found driving into the city and also out towards Swarthmore and King of Prussia very easy, but I allowed time for traffic and my poor navigational skills! Freeway access was very good from the hotels.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Jed

Biddingfortravel lists many hotels in downtown Philly which you could get from Priceline for a reasonable price.
http://tinyurl.com/ye5rnz

Are you familiar with bidding on Priceline? If not, when you do learn, you will kick yourself for not doing it earlier.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 11:08 AM

You really won't want to stay by the airport - there aren't really even any restaurants there. I live in Philadelphia, and the airport is not the greatest spot to stay. I understand budgets though, so if you have to, you have to.

Near the convention center, there is a really great restaurant (wll, there are a few, really). One of my fave in Phila. is Lolita - it is on 13th between Sansom and Chestnut. It is BYOB, so stop at the wine store on 13th near Reading terminal Market or there is one on Chestnut just east of 13th. It is Mexican, but not burrito, tex-mex - really good upscale, but prices are not crazy - about 20 per entree. After, go across the street to capgiro for the best gelato you will have outside of Italy!
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

I am very familiar with Priceline as I use it all the time, (when I don't have free rooms using points!).

The big problem this week is that the NEA conference tht I am attending has over 12,000 delegates so most hotels of any size downtown are booked.

I am sharing a room with another delegate who I do not know (other than to say hello in passing).

I will have access to other delegates and free breakfast each morning at the Ritz-Carlton where my state group is located. Those state meetings run from 7-9 a.m.

My big question is how quickly can I get from the airport to the Ritz-Carlton (which I understand is very close to the convention center)?

Is it possible to catch a train/subway at 6:30 and be at a station near the Ritz by 6:45 a.m.?
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 10:20 AM

> Is it possible to catch a train/subway at 6:30
> and be at a station near the Ritz by 6:45 a.m.?

According to

www.Septa.org/Service/sched/pdfs/preview/R1.html

the earliest you can get to Market East (12th and Market) on the R1 (Airport) Line is 6:40 am. That would PROBABLY allow you enough time, but you'll be cutting it close.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Oops!

Try this link instead

http://www.septa.org/service/sched/pdfs/preview/r1.html
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 10:24 AM

Double oops!!

That link was for Christmas Day only!!

Try this one for weekdays:

http://www.septa.org/service/sched/r1_wk.html
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 10:58 AM

You're going to need to take the Residence Inn shuttle, and they'll take you to Eastwick station, which is one closer to center city than the airport and much simpler to deal with anyway. The only reason to get taken to the airport is to pick up a Ritz-Carlton free shuttle or something.

Look at the SEPTA link the other guy posted - same basic times apply for Eastwick. Also, I think the Residence Inn still has free breakfast. Of course you'd prefer to have it with your colleagues but you do have the option at the hotel.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

I assume that this is a subway? and not a train from Eastwick to the East Market station? I see rates are $18.75 for a week pass? is that right?
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 01:34 PM

No, it's not a subway, it's a commuter train, the R1. The end is the airport (several stops there, then Eastwick, then a few more stops...then there are three major stops in Center City: 30th Street, Suburban Station, and Market East. All the commuter trains converge on these three stations. Someone else said that Market East is the closest station to the Ritz but I didn't check.

Septa.org allows you to map out the best route to any address I think. Also look up the map and schedule for the R1.

Don't know about the pass - but that sounds too cheap to be for commuter rail. I see Septa has a 2-zone weekly pass, regional rail, for $28.25 that would work. Go to Septa.org and type in the address of both the Residence Inn and the Ritz and you might find a cheaper route via bus/subway but probably not as fast or convenient.