Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Philadelphia suite hotel for family of 5? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/philadelphia-suite-hotel-for-family-of-5-a-226506/)

Boots May 29th, 2002 07:35 PM

Philadelphia suite hotel for family of 5?

Hi! I'm planning a summer trip to Philadelphia and would like to stay near Independence Mall (or at a hotel with free shuttle service to the Mall area). With 2 adults and 3 preteen kids, we need a suite hotel. Has anyone stayed at any of these: Hawthorne Suites, Kormansuites Hotel or Embassy Suites? If so, can you please let me know how you liked it and how convenient it was to Independence Mall? Thanks so much!

Boots May 31st, 2002 06:13 AM

ttt

gina May 31st, 2002 06:58 AM

have you checked into teh Clarion Suites. It isn't far from Independence mall and I have heard good things baout it. Offers really large, comfortable suites for pretty reasonable prices-

travellyn May 31st, 2002 08:40 AM

I just stayed 5 nights at the Hawthorne Suites a week ago. My room was quiet, comfortable, and I had a nice view from the 13th floor. My suite wasn't really a suite, however. No kitchen area, fridge or microwave. I understand that some rooms do have a kitchen area. I think you'd have to ask pretty specifically. There was a pretty extensive breakfast each day, not just continental. There was an evening buffet good enough for dinner M-Th evenings.<BR><BR>It was very well-located for the convention center, but it's not as close to the historic area (about a mile or so away) as some other hotels. Embassy suites is farther from the historic area than Hawthorne Suites; Clarion Suites would be a couple of blocks closer.<BR><BR>The Phlash bus was $10 for a family pass to ride all day. That included 2 adults and 3 children.<BR><BR>The security at Hawthorne Suites was good. E.g. you have to use your card key even to get through the main doors into the lobby after 10pm or so. After hours, you also need to use the key to call the elevator to the lobby.

jennie May 31st, 2002 09:43 AM

ttt

Boots Jun 5th, 2002 04:45 AM

Thanks so much for the helpful information! I'm going to look into either staying at Hawthorn Suites and Clarion Suites.

Lily Jun 18th, 2002 06:24 AM

Hey Boots,<BR><BR>Embassy Suites are really good, I stay there all the time.<BR><BR>Lily

Jeff Jun 26th, 2002 08:21 AM

Was just in Philly and stayed at the Embassy Suites. Great hotel and the Phlash bus is the only way to travel around time to see sights with a family of a four. I would not stay at the Hawthorne. It is barely in what qualifies as Center City (on perimeter by freeway), and is in a terrible neighborhood. I can understand why they have all that security.

Boots Jun 30th, 2002 09:21 AM

Post-trip follow up: We stayed at Embassy suites and it was perfect. $139/night plus $21 parking. Great location (2 Phlash bus stops right outside the hotel -one in each direction), nice reception, full breakfast etc. Thanks all for advice!