Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Philadelphia restuarant suggestion (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/philadelphia-restuarant-suggestion-470392/)

diann Aug 27th, 2004 01:19 PM

Philadelphia restuarant suggestion

We are going to the Academy of Music Theater to see a play. I am looking for a restaurant to eat at prior to seeing the play which would be within walking distance of the theater. I have been to Susanna Woo's. It was great but I am looking for something less expensive. Any suggestions for the area would be appreciated. Thanks.

mei Aug 27th, 2004 06:07 PM

I love the Caribou Cafe or Monks....both are in walking distance and less expensive.

Jed Aug 28th, 2004 10:50 AM

We have always had good meals at Upstares at Varalli and Sotto Varalli which are just across the street. Toto, also across the street has been disappointing.

A little further east, Valanni is very good; Vetri is expensive.

West of Broad St, Alma de Cuba is good for Cuban; many on Walnut St. are expensive. Monk's Cafe is good. I did not enjoy Ruth's Chris. Sanson St. Oyster is good but no reservations. La Viola on 16th St. is good Italian but BYOB and no CC. ((F))

diann Aug 29th, 2004 05:58 AM

Thanks for your replies. Jed, when you say across the street you mean across the street from the theater. We both love Italian food so anything Italian would be great. I will look into the ones you mention particulary the BYOB. La Viola. Monks also looks interesting.

elle Aug 29th, 2004 08:32 AM

I love Upstares at Varalli; have never had a good meal at Sotto Varalli. Go figure.

Another BYOB option is La Boheme on 11th. Excellent food, reasonable cost.

Jed Aug 29th, 2004 12:25 PM

Yes, literally across the street from the Academy of Music which is at 1400 Locust St.

Thinking about it, I am not familiar with having plays there. What play and when?

La Boheme is very good but a little east. We go there when we go to the Walnut for plays. I agree that Sotto has gotten some mediocre reviews, but I guess we had good luck 3 times. ;;)

Also, La Viola is small and crowded. Upstares is more relaxed. Both are very good.

Jed Aug 29th, 2004 02:29 PM

Poking around the web, I just saw that "The King and I" is playing next month, and there are other plays and musicals scheduled.

diann Aug 29th, 2004 03:11 PM

I thank you for your replies. I also went on the web site and it looks like the Upstairs at Varalli will do just fine. Menu looks good and the location is great. Yes it is the "King and I" we are seeing. An old time fav of mine. Love the music!! Looking forward to the p.m.

dbenya Aug 29th, 2004 03:59 PM

If it's not too late, you might also look at Ernesto's 1521 on Spruce Street. It's a wonderful little place.

yk Aug 29th, 2004 05:17 PM

I second Ernesto 1521, also Bronzino (on 17th street btw Locust & Spruce) is pretty good as well.

diann Sep 12th, 2004 07:20 AM

If anyone is still here, we went to Upstairs last night for our dinner. They had been closed for vacation and just reopened on the 9th. As a result "Upstairs" was not available. We had to eat downstairs at Sotto's. The atmoshere was not what I had hoped for, but the food was excellent. Very good. A great location to the Academy. Now I am going to try something different for next month we go to the Merrian Theater. Thanks all.

Jed Sep 12th, 2004 11:04 AM

diann- Thanks for the follow-up. Glad you had a good dinner at Sotto. ((Y)) What kind of atmosphere were you looking for?

diann Sep 12th, 2004 02:46 PM

I guess somewhat more romantic, intimate. Where we were seated the tables were extemely close together. I suppose I think the Upstairs was more what I had visioned. The waitress was lovely, the food was great, the show was nice, so all and all a nice p.m.