Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Bart- to Oakland airport--time frame???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Powell street station to Oakland airport on a Friday afternoon.
BART website quotes about 1/2 hour for trip to BART station. .I "heard" AIR BART shuttle to airport can be 15-30 min. intervals, although website said every 10 min...
Anyone have experience and/or knowledge about this info???
I am at a loss as I have only taken BART to SFO
Usually I would leave "early" to allow plenty of time, however my granddaughter cannot leave until 3 PM. (job restrictions)
So I need info to make reservations to allow time to get there and go through security and to boarding..
Wondering why we don't fly out of SFO??
SFO to Burbank on SWA routes thru Las Vegas or Phoenix --weird!!!(takes longer and costs more)
Tried other airlines-way over SWA prices..therefore Oakland....
P.S. I have used SWA since 1994--still like their service EXCEPT the new changes..however, I am sure I will adjust...still can't beat their prices.
Old May 21st, 2011, 03:30 AM
J62

You have the info from BART website. Travel time Powell St to OAK airport is about 45min. 20min on BART, transfer to the shuttle, and about a 10-15min ride on the shuttle. Plan on about 1hr total including walking time, waiting for next BART or shuttle, etc, and you should be fine.

SFO really isn't any closer by BART. One less connection, but it's still a long BART ride.

This is the way I see it. Your GD can't leave till 3. Call it really 3:30 in case she's delayed. That gets you to the terminal by 4:30. I'd book a flight no earlier than 5:30 (online checkin, no checked bags), or 6:00 to be safer. If you're a slow walker or GD is chronically late then give yourself more time.

If you're literally counting minutes and trying to decide on a departure with that fine a precision then you're probably cutting it too close.

I don't understand the rest of your words about SFO, SWA through LAS or PHX, so I'm not sure what you're asking there.
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:16 AM

I would NOT count on an hour door to door from Powell st

according to BART it's a 25 min ride ON THE TRAIN from Powell..factor in 15 min wait time that makes it 45 min. If you have to wait 15 min for a shuttle that's 65 min, plus 15 min on the shuttle is 80 min...almost an hour and a half. SO leaving at 3:30 from Powell, getting ot the airport by 5 PM, I wouldn't book anything earlier than 6:30 personally.
Old May 21st, 2011, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Appreciate the feedback..
I will figure time and add 1/2 hour..good advice..
My only reason for commenting about SWA thru Phoenix and Las Vegas---vent my frustration & surprise at routing.
Thanks again