Philadelphia overnight trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, looking for some help with a overnight stay in Philadelphia this Sunday. We will be taking a couple of college tours on Monday but have sunday evening to spend. I think we will just walk around, see the Liberty Bell etc. Which are the best areas to walk around? What will be open on Sunday evening - stores etc, not museums!We have one vegetarian with us,any moderately priced restaurant recommendations? So far I have only come up with Azure & the veg variety is limited.
Also, I had booked the Holiday Inn Cityline but that seems a little far, I can get a hotel on Hotwire that appears to be the Sheraton Society Hill in Penn's Landing. Which one would be a better choice? There is also a 3.5* available in City Center West but I have idea which hotel that might be.
Since we don't have much time, which is the best area for browsing, either on Sunday evening or Mon afternoon before we head out. Thanks.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definitely choose the Sheraton Society Hill. The historic district and the South Street area are both walkable from there. I don't think you will find many stores open after 6 or 7 on Sunday night. I would plan to stroll around the historic district (again, only the exteriors will be available - I don't think you can see the Liberty Bell anymore from the street, but I'm not sure.) It is a pretty walk though. I'll give some thought to vegetarian choices - I can't think of a good option right now.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 02:27 PM
mei

My HS senior and friends(mom likes it too) love The Continental at 2nd and Market...plenty of Vegetarian choices and all shared plates...and easy walk from Sheraton Society Hill..and that's a geat place to stay. Make sure you take a walk down South St.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Society Hill is definitely the place to stay for your trip. Take a stroll - it is lovely there. There are lots of small but beautiful gardens, and the city itself is alive with history in that area. Elfreth's Alley is the oldest continually inhabited street in the country, and it's a nice walk. There are several old churches with cemeteries that are quite interesting. And there are many small little museums/historic buildings that you will run across.
Sorry I cannot help with eateries, though.
have a great trip.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, the Westin may be another option, slightly more expensive, is it a lot better than the Sheraton? What about location?
I am a little disappointed to hear n0thing much will be open Sunday evening. Isn't there any 'touristy' area where little shops etc are open late on Sundays too? We just want to walk around in a lively area. I didn't realise that the Liberty Bell was not visible from the street, how/where does one go to see it? Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 03:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We were just in Philadelphia a week or so back. We stayed at the Best Western Independence Park. It's leaning on the historic sights as well a Society Hill. It's also very nice and includes a full breakfast.

Each morning before my wife got up and we had breakfast, I went for a walk thru the Mall area (the National Park Service has done a great job with this area) and also the residential areas of Society Hill with its many courtyards, etc. A very nice residential area for walking.

We got there on a Sunday evening (9PM) and the place was pretty dead. If you're there when it's still light out I believe you can see the Bell thru the window from the outside.

Right at the end of my many photos is a picture of the Bell with Independence Hall seen thru the window.

www.travelwalks.com

select the NY & Philadelphia trip on the lower, right side of the page.

Of the Mall sights, the only one that requires a ticket is the Independence Hall tour. On a Monday you may not have a wait. Tickets are available at the Visitors' Center a block up the Mall. For $1.50 each you can book them online in advance and be sure of your time.

The Bell is directly across the steet.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:20 AM

e_c

Absolutely stay at the Sheraton Society Hill. It is the best location. It's the only place I stay and I go to Philly at least twice a year. You are in old City and walking distance to just about historic everything. Head House Square (en route to South Street) usually has a craft show/art/food market on weekends, though not sure how long into fall they have this. Since heightened security you must sign up in advance for any of the historic tours, including the Liberty Bell. But you still can walk around the historic mile.

Check out gophila.com for more
information.

Have fun!
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Thanks, Myer for clarifying that you can see the bell from the street. It used to be housed in a small glass building that was clearly visible from Market Street, but it was moved a few years ago. I know it is not quite as easily seen now, but I'm glad to hear that you can still catch a peek of it.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:57 AM

You do NOT have to sign up in advance to see the Liberty Bell, but you do have to go through security. The only thing for which you need an advance ticket is Independence Hall. The "lively" section of the city would be South St., but again, shops close early on Sunday.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the replies, we booked the Sheraton Society Hill. Until what time can we go to see the Liberty Bell? Can anyone think of any suggestions for what to do on a SUNDAY EVENING? It is the Sunday of a long weekend. That is the only free time we will have there & I sure don't want to waste it!
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 05:12 AM
mei

Pretty much everything in Indepence Park will close by 5. It's not easy to find much to do on a Sunday night...and it seems like you have teens since you're looking at colleges so the bars are out....here are a few suggestions...you could do the Terror Behind the Walls tour at Eastern State Penitentary or ghost tour www.ghosttour.com your really should try www.gophila.com and see what's going on.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 08:00 AM

mei's suggestion for the ghost tour sounds perfect for Sunday night. From the gophilly website:

"One Part History, Two Parts Haunt! Visit more than 15 scary sites to hear Philadelphia's haunted facts and folklore. Experience Philadelphia's monuments by moonlight. "
http://www.gophilly.com/
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Sunday's a good day/night for Chinatown. There are several vegetarian restaurants there too - our fave is Charles Plaza (which has meat options too, but owner Charles Chen is veggie!) Stores in Chinatown (ceramics, food, Chinese imports, jewelery) are open through dinner hour (maybe til 8/9 pm?) on Sunday. Chinatown is between 9th and 12th streets on Race and Arch. It would be a 6 minute cab ride from the Sheraton