Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Philadelphia on Thanksgiving (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/philadelphia-on-thanksgiving-379301/)

scoutjewel Jun 15th, 2008 09:45 AM

Philadelphia on Thanksgiving

What is there to do in Philadelphia and/or the surrounding area on Thanksgiving day?

TravelingGal Jun 16th, 2008 07:25 AM

If you have a car and don't mind about an hour's drive, Longwood Gardens is open on Thanksgiving from 9:00 am to dark and it's the first night of their Xmas light display. They're located on Rt.1 in Kennett Township, Chester County, due west of Philly. We live near there and it's beautiful and almost always open. Check out their website, just google them.

scoutjewel Jun 17th, 2008 06:48 PM

Thanks, TravelingGal. I will check it out.

Birdie Jun 17th, 2008 07:38 PM

There will be a parade in Philly on Thanksgiving.

schmerl Jun 18th, 2008 05:33 AM

There is the whole historical district to see.
Check out www.gophila.com for things to do.

lakeside77 Jun 18th, 2008 05:37 AM

I 2nd the idea of Longwood Gardens. Just returned from there, and can't imagine what it looks like for Christmas. Well worth the drive.

Vallombrosa Jun 18th, 2008 06:39 AM

We visited Longwood Gardens last Christmas; it is well worth the trip!

scoutjewel Jun 24th, 2008 02:05 PM

What can you tell me about the parade, Birdie?

Schmerl, is the historical district open on Thanksgiving day?

Birdie Jun 24th, 2008 03:32 PM

It's not the Macy's Thanksgiving parade, that's for sure but I think its fun. I haven't seen it in person but caught some of it on tv last year when we were in Philly for Thanksgiving.

schmerl Jun 24th, 2008 06:02 PM

According to this article Independence Hall is open on the holidays and no advance ticket is required:

Independence Hall Description
Grown-ups will appreciate the significance of Independence Hall, where the Liberty Bell first tolled and the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed. But kids will enjoy stories about American militiamen tearing down the British coat of arms and British soldiers burning the furniture as firewood. Fun things to look at include George Washington's chair, the silver inkstand used to sign the Declaration and Constitution, the wooden pole with a brass tip that kept courtroom observers subdued, and little coal-burning boxes to keep feet warm.
Historical Landmark

Kid TipsBabies: The building is stroller accessible, but consider a frontpack carrier since parts of the tour require climbing stairs.
Toddlers & Pre-K: Small children may have a hard time seeing, since the group stands through most of the tour. If you can lift children up or navigate to the front, they'll enjoy it more. Parts of the tour are in a leafy outdoor square, perfect for running around between well-mannered sight-seeing stops.
Pre-Teens & Teens: Stories told by the tour guides are especially enthralling for the pre-teen set.
Planning NotesReserve tickets in advance. Tickets are available on the day of your visit only at the Independence Visitor Center at 6th and Market streets. Tickets are free, but during peak season they run out almost every day, so go early. To get your pick of dates and times, reserve them up to a year in advance at http://www.recreation.gov/ for a nominal fee.
There are no restrooms. Duck into the Independence Visitor Center across the street if little ones need a last-minute rest stop.
Go between mealtimes. There's no food service, and although you can bring food and drink inside with you, it must remain tightly sealed.
Just the FactsHours: Daily from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Park rangers lead free tours every 15 minutes. Timed tickets are required March 1 through December 31, except for the Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, when no ticket is required.
Fees: Free
Recommended Time: Less than

scoutjewel Jun 27th, 2008 08:44 AM

Thanks, schmerl. That info. will help us make our decision.

tdvpnp Jun 30th, 2008 05:34 PM

As a Philly Native, I would definitely go to the Parade. Its lots of fun and not as long as the New Years Parade.
If you haven't seen a Mummer, its a real experience!!