Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Philadelphia Living (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/philadelphia-living-644550/)

TKT Sep 5th, 2006 06:16 PM

Philadelphia Living

I'm considering a move from Boston to Philadelphia.

I want to live in Center City or an adjacent area.

I'm looking at Condos, willing to spend around 350. Ideally two bedrooms or 1 with a large lving room.

I would like to be in a neighborhood with professionals over 40 and for a female being able to walk safely at night is very important.

any suggestions?

ebdlemond02 Sep 7th, 2006 05:22 AM

So funny since I live in center city Philadelphia and would love to Boston. Unfortunately my career keeps me here. I am a 45 year femal professional who lives alone in a very "up and coming neighborhood". I am able to safely walk to all the upscale and trendy areas in 10 minutes. I am very passionate about Philadelphia and would be happy to give you my opinions on where to go and where not to go. I could even refer you to some good realtors. Currently $350 for 2 bedroom condo will probably be in one of these up and coming neighborhoods. Let me know if you would like to discuss this very important move in further detail.
Good Luck! I think you will love Philly!!!

TKT Sep 7th, 2006 06:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have spent a lot of time there and really enjoy it.
I'm just looking for the names of some of the neighborhoods that would meet my description. Old City? Society Hill?
Italian Markets? Chinatown? Rittenhouse? Queen Village? Any others I don't know about.

Boston is a wonderful place, but I want to live downtown and I just can't afford it here.

ebdlemond02 Sep 7th, 2006 09:33 AM

Okay..here is my opinion. I think I am pretty much on target since I have lived here my entire life but only in center city for the last 2 years.
Old City...very hip and possibly the hottest area right now but in my opinion a little too young for my age group.
Rittenhouse...upscale with lots of the old money scene yet some newer trendier stuff coming in. All of the upscale shops in this area. Doubtful you could find something acceptable in your price range but you can try.
Queen Village...great area but crowded and the crime (according to my brother in law who is a policeman in that neighborhood, is on the rise)I would still consider it though.
Graduate Hospital...this is my neighborhood which happens to be a 10 minute walk to Rittenhouse. Toll Brothers is building an incredible new development called Naval Square with lots of condos. Also less expensive and from what I hear nicely priced is something called South Bridge. These are new condos being buil in an old warehouse/industrial type building right on the river. They are within walking distance of me and they look really great. They include parking, and will have a large indoor pool. I can tell you that I really like this area and more and more professionals are moving in. Rumor has it that we might even have a Starbucks soon...lol
University City...great area across the river. I am told that there are still some good buys there.
Chinatown...I would not be happy there but someone else might.
Fairmount/Art Museum...great area but also in my opinion a little too crowded. Close to the museums, close to Kelly Drive for workouts and great small bistros/bar estabishments.

Hope this is helpful!

TKT Sep 7th, 2006 09:40 AM

Thanks! Very helpful

Ms_Harvey Sep 14th, 2006 06:40 PM

I have lived in Queen Village for 15 years and would steer clear of Grad Hospital and Old City. It's all what you're used to. Crime is up everywhere in Philly so you just have to be alert when walking at night. As a 40-something female, I don't feel unsafe in QV and come home late pretty regularly. QV is a more established yuppie neighborhood with singles, families, and retirees (I don't understand the "crowded" reference). I know 75% of the neighbors on my block to at least say hello to. There's an excellent elementary school here and we typically get 60+ trick-or-treaters on Halloween while the adults hang out and drink beer -- so in short it's a real community. 5-20 minute walk to movies, restaurants, Whole Foods market, grocery store, book store, coffee shops, etc. After living in NYC and San Fran, Philly is still a place I love to hate, but I have a really nice life here.
Realtors in the neighborhood: Prudential (Cathy Conway)or Plumer on South Street.

TKT Sep 14th, 2006 07:26 PM

Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me what streets make up QV? I won't ask you to right an essay, but what do you hate about Philly? Are the retirees mostly coming from other places or are they natives?

Ms_Harvey Sep 17th, 2006 07:17 PM

Geographically, Queen Village is roughly South Street south to Washington Ave, then from the Delaware river to 5th Street. The zip code is 19147, but that includes Bella Vista and (true) South Philly as well.
Philly is not a progressive city. We were ranked as one of the least educated of the 15 largest US cities, and college grads do not stay here (I suspect some Bostonians might find the exodus of students refreshing). The political system is corrupt, like many eastern cities, but it is ineptly corrupt. Getting anything done at city agencies is extremely frustrating and service is typically rude and slow. It is a big union town and a sports town and I'm not a sports fan. Still it has lots of culture, good restaurants and is probably the most walkable city in the US. Thus, I have a love/hate relationship with the place. You can email me if you want more info if you're seriously considering a move. [email protected]

TKT Sep 18th, 2006 06:50 AM

Thanks so much for the info. I'll email you if I get closer to considering a move. I have had the sense that Philly gov't is inept. It is funny that Philly's inability to
maintain a middle class is part of what makes it affordable. I actually don't mind 99% of the students in Boston.
I know what youi mean about sports, I actually love sports but I hate sports obssession. Having one's mental state determined by how a ball bounces is a little much.
One thing I have noticed about Philly and services is how dirty the subway is underneath City Hall, most cities keep them reasonably clean jsut for the tourist to see.
I do agree with you though about how walkable Philly is, as much as Boston, or more so because of the easy to navigate grid.